Updating, without updating POIs??

I'm quite frustrated with trying to upgrade my TomTom Go 300

We have two of the units, purchased in 2005. The feature I use the MOST is being able to find nearby stores. The device has a built-in POI category "Stores" and under this falls EVERYTHING from Walgreens, to Petco, to the corner "mom and pop". It's a lifesaver, especially when I'm moving around every 6 or 7 months.

However, when I upgrade to the most recent software build... I lose this POI category. I've upgraded before, and withinthree days had to reinstall my old files because I was going crazy. I'd like to know if it is possible to install the newest operating system on the TomTom, and fully upgrade it... without losing the old built in POI categories.

You are not talking about a map upgrade?

The POI's have nothing to do with the software. They should only have changed if you changed maps. That category was removed with the newer maps.

However, I believe that you can download the missing 'stores' POI category from the TT site.

Hope that helps!

You are not talking about a map upgrade?

The POI's have nothing to do with the software. They should only have changed if you changed maps. That category was removed with the newer maps.

However, I believe that you can download the missing 'stores' POI category from the TT site.

Hope that helps!

I'm talking about just updating to the current version of software... which is free through TomTom's little updating program. Not necessarily changing my map. And yes, it doesnt change the POI's, but it does change the POI categories apparently.

FYI: I'm currently using only App 5.420 and OS:1008
GPS v1.21, Boot 4.86

Map of the US vers: 567
And no, the TomTom Shops category you can download only has like Target and Walmart... and a few other major stores. It doesn't have EVERY little store like the old "Stores" category has.

Last edited:
The POI's come with the map. If you didn't upgrade the map then you still have all the same POI's that you had previously. You won't have lost any. Maybe they were just re-named or split up?

What changes in the POI categories have occurred then? I am not aware of any change in the POI caetgory names, but I could be wrong (I don't upgrade!).

Ask a Question