Updating process....

TomTom Model(s)
GO730T
I have my new 730T here sitting on the couch next to me. I have read here and on other forums that the new map update will be out any day. Would it be safe for me to do the other updates e.g. mapshare, firmware, fastgpsfix... etc without risking the download of the current map available from Tom Tom?

In other words, is clicking on the "Latest Map Guarentee" the only way to update the map currently installed on the device?

I have my new 730T here sitting on the couch next to me. I have read here and on other forums that the new map update will be out any day. Would it be safe for me to do the other updates e.g. mapshare, firmware, fastgpsfix... etc without risking the download of the current map available from Tom Tom?

In other words, is clicking on the "Latest Map Guarentee" the only way to update the map currently installed on the device?

I'm guessing a little but when you use tomtom home It will download all things that are available to update but their is a checkbox on each item so you do not have to download it at this time. But beware somewhere in my memory is the fact that tomtom becomes active when its first used on home whether or not everything is downloaded so to be safe wait a week or so until the maps are offically available. no sense taking chances. May others on this forum can help a little more. Good luck

Thanks for the information doctormstein1. I was hoping to get some of the update done before the maps became available. That way I would have better handle on the backups and the all the updates. I just want to make sure that by accepting the other updates I would not be accepting the a map upgrade at this time.

Thanks again.

The doctor has given good advice.......you could update mapshares now, but they don't carry over to a new map anyway.

Perhaps download a quickgpsquickfix file now but, as doc says, you have 30 days from first use and TomTom is overdue on the next map now. My bet (don't take this to the bank) is the new map will come out Friday.......you see, they tend to release the new map for all units at about the same time and it puts a horrendous strain on their (often flakey) servers.

As long as you are in the 30-day window, just be patient for a week or so.

AND......

Let's say you do see a new map is released, don't be surprised if the LMG says you have the latest map when you don't. Call support at 866-486-6866 and they'll straighten things up.

Finally......if you haven't done so, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents now! This is your safety net ........:)

Thanks dhn. I will follow yours and docs advice. I am just getting a little ansy. My unit arrived on the 12th and the first thing I did was an explorer backup. I have really old maps so I fully expect that I will have to furnish TS with a copy of my Amazon shipping confirmation email. I just want to make sure that I am not left out in the cold with the LMG.

I picked up the new (not refurb) 730T at Amazon for $189. I felt it was a real deal.

Ask a Question