Updated user guide for revised interface?

TomTom Model(s)
XL340 TM
I updated maps and software on our XL-340 yesterday for the first time in a few months, and was surprised with a completely changed interface. The new software is version 9.430. This is my husband's GPS, and he's really annoyed that I changed everything! I had forgotten that I should backup via Explorer, and I instead let the Home2 software create the backup. So, I do have a backup, but not one I created manually.

It appears you must keep the new software in order to get map and camera updates, so restoring the old software isn't an option. Is this correct?

Assuming we must keep this interface, it sure would be nice to have a manual that agrees with the device.

Thanks for any guidance!
Helen

Do you happen to remember the application version on the unit prior to the update? Or, look at the contents of the contents of the backed up .zip file and look for a text file called ttgo.bif. Therein, you'll see two rows, one labelled 'Applicationversionnumber' and the following is 'applicationversion'.

Can you post both values here.........

There's no new manual, but the changes aren't THAT big are they? Things do look a bit different, but none of the main ways of doing things has changed.

About the biggest thing is that the left and middle sections of the status bar have probably swapped position, that irritated me for a while, but it's actually more logical... the left panel now has everything about your current position, the right panel has everything about your destination, and the centre one has the "what's next" navigation instructions.

Hi, dhn --
Here are the two lines you requested from the ttgo.bif file:
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9061
ApplicationVersion=576030.2

Okay, various steps........

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

2. I think (thus the Explorer backup) the following is the link for the proper version of the application you had: http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.061.xl2009_plus.CAB-navcore-ONE_XL.cab

Download it to your desktop.

3. Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Then use WinRar to extract the contents of the downloaded .cab file to the unit, overwriting as necessary.

4. To use a 'fix' to stop Home from forcing an application update, read through the following link for a solution (especially from post#14 onwards:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t25167-cannot-de-select-application-update.html

Thanks, Andy and dhn --

I'll ask dh to try to adjust to the new interface, but we're old codgers and resist change! Actually, he's concerned he might even have an accident while he's looking at the screen trying to find something. He thought what he had was perfect, and is kinda mad that they fixed something that wasn't broke. All he wanted was for me to update his maps.

If after a couple of weeks we do try the fix, I'll report back with my success, or lack thereof.

Thanks again to both of you,
Helen

Ask a Question