Updated to latest firmware/map....things are hosed up

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
OK, afer all updates, newest NA map (830?) to SD card, newest firmware to internal, now I can only find the Guam map.

How do I teach the TomTom that the NA map is on the SD card??????

This is frustrating.....and corn-fusing. I am sure the solution is simple...but I am clueless.

Previously, I had 825 on SD, App on internal and all was well. Not sure WHAT I hosed up, but I sure did somehow.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP .

Yes I have explorer backups of the pre-update of both SD and internal. Just not sure what to do.

Grumpy,

Are you sure the NA map is still on the card?

Yes... the card has the North_America_2GB folder.....it has 1.5G of stuff in it

I am clueless as to what's going on....I am still playing. Operate my GO from HOme gives .Net error and crashes home. I have all .Net versions on machine (.Net Developer here) Not the end of the world, but....geeeez

OK... I think I figured out what I did to hose this up, AND, I think I fixed it.

When TT Home popped up last night, I inadvertently selected the SD MEMORY CARD, rather than the INTERNAL memory, as my active device. This occurred because the internal memory was assigned N: by my pooter, andit assigned M: to the SD card. I thought, in my haste, that the "lowest" letter (i.e. M: ) MUST be the Internal Memory.... WRONG!

I then allowed it to update the software version --- which it DID, only it did it to the SD card....:eek:

THEN, I realized the problem, reconnected to the INTERNAL, and reinstalled the software update. SOmehow, it appears that this set the software up such that it believed that GUAM was the only map --- which makes sense, as I only moved the NA map to the SD card when I moved maps some time back. I did NOT move the Guam map. It remained on the Internal Memory.

What I did this morning is, I looked at my Explorer backups, and deleted everything off of the SD card, except for the folders that appeared in my previous explorer backup of the SD card.

I then changed to internal memory as the device, and added the 830 map, which was still on my computer.

Once THAT was complete, I moved (via explorer) the NA Map folder to the SD card via explorer.

When I pulled my device off the cradle, and fired it up, it asked which map I wanted, I chose NA (which is only on the SD card) and it worked.

It seems that I am now back in business.

Only thing, I can't remember how to restore my previous favorites from my old explorer backup to the TT. I'll have to look thru my previous posts to remember how to do that. I remember that it wasn't too hard.

There must be a folder/file somewhere in internal memory that flags that the NA map is on the SD card, and directs the TT to look THERE --- AND it got killed when I went thru the OS mess-up.

I THINK I am back in business minus my favorites, which is probably an easy fix with explorer back-ups.

ALWAYS ALWAYS MAKE EXPLORER BACK-UPS. If I hadn't had those, I would have never been able to track this down.

Supposedly, copying an old (backed up) mapsettings.cfg file from the specific map folder (North_Anmerica) to the updated new North_America map folder should return your favourites.

That said, rebooting with the copied over .cfg file actually just cause a looping in the booting process and no actual getting into the map on your TT. If that happens, then use Explorer to delete the mapsettings.cfg file from the folder. TT will recreate one on bootup; of course, it will not contain your settings.

So, for many, downloading poi edit from poiedit.com and running your old .cfg file through it will allow tyou to see a row item for each of your favourites. You create a new custom poi category (like _favourites and place each specific favourite as a poi point in that category. The _ in front of the name allows the category to 'float' to the top of the category list).

Now, you copy the custom fav.ov2 to the map folder like all your other custom .ov2 files are. The nice thing is that you can copy this ov2 file to new maps as they come out and not have to worry about losing them

An additional bonus is that a poi category can have 100's of individual points; the favourites file only allowed for 48.

Supposedly, copying an old (backed up) mapsettings.cfg file from the specific map folder (North_Anmerica) to the updated new North_America map folder should return your favourites.

That said, rebooting with the copied over .cfg file actually just cause a looping in the booting process and no actual getting into the map on your TT. If that happens, then use Explorer to delete the mapsettings.cfg file from the folder. TT will recreate one on bootup; of course, it will not contain your settings.

So, for many, downloading poi edit from poiedit.com and running your old .cfg file through it will allow tyou to see a row item for each of your favourites. You create a new custom poi category (like _favourites and place each specific favourite as a poi point in that category. The _ in front of the name allows the category to 'float' to the top of the category list).

Now, you copy the custom fav.ov2 to the map folder like all your other custom .ov2 files are. The nice thing is that you can copy this ov2 file to new maps as they come out and not have to worry about losing them

An additional bonus is that a poi category can have 100's of individual points; the favourites file only allowed for 48.

OK, the world is back in order again.

8.35/NA830

Copied favorites from Exp backup, got the boot-hang... got in via Operate my Go, deleted one favorite, and all is back in order (phew):cool:

Not quite, Grumpy....:p

You gotta dump reference to map 825 with full poi's from your sig line. :cool:

Ask a Question