Update & bring my GPS to Ireland?

I'm planning a trip to Ireland next month - I'll be traveling alone. I've driven in both UK & Australia before, so not concerned about being on the other side of the road - although I am more nervous about not having another person along to navigate.

I have a TomTom One (not sure which version) and I am wondering if I should download/purchase the UK/Ireland map from TomTom Home for $64.95, get a GPS from the rental car company or make my way with paper maps.

The download for my GPS is 115.2MB... I've managed to open up 117MB of space by removing some voices, car icons, etc. I'm hesitant to spend $65 on updating and bringing my GPS if it's not going to work perfectly... so I'm looking for input from this community.

What do you think? What are your experiences?

Thanks,
"Walt" from Northeast USA

I haven't tried it, but it *seems like* (big disclaimer there!) you could do this, using HOME. AFTER a full "Explorer Backup" of course!

* Delete your existing UNITED_STATES map, freeing up the entire map's space. I think HOME will ask if you want to save the map to your computer first.

* Purchase the new map, which should fit nicely

* Do another "Explorer Backup" (in a different directory!)

* Enjoy your trip

* Come back home, and delete the new map (again, I hope HOME will let you save it to the computer first)

* Restore the UNITED_STATES map from the computer (assuming that Step 1 worked as expected!)

If HOME doesn't work as I'm thinking, and you can't save and restore your UNITED_STATES map, then you could do this:

* Full "Explorer Backup"

* Delete UNITED_STATES

* Purchase new map

* Enjoy trip

* Full "Explorer Backup" to another directory

* Delete everything from the unit and do an "Explorer Restore" from your original "UNITED_STATES" directory

Let me just say again... I HAVEN'T DONE ANY OF THESE THINGS PERSONALLY, I'm just basing it on what I've read on the forum and my map and firmware upgrade experience. If you're not feeling adventurous with your TomTom, then you should go with your other options (rental GPS or paper map, neither of which will brick your TomTom).

Ask a Question