Up-dating factory installed POI's

TomTom Model(s)
TT 1 (NE)
If anyone is interested there’s a way of up-dating the ‘factory installed’ POI data without destroying the original file. I did the following to the Dunkin’ Donuts file: after finding several location’s in my area that weren’t listed in the original file I looked up the info on the DD site, used a batch converter to geo-code the addresses and made a separate .ov2 file with the new information. I named the ‘new’ file Dunkin Donuts (without an apostrophe) and renamed the DD icon as well. I loaded the 'new' file onto my TT One without any problems - there was no conflict with similarly named files. Now when I browse a map I can see ALL of the Dunkin Donuts locations – the originals and the new ones. The only way I can tell which is which is by clicking on a DD icon and reading the info - the original POI’s have some erroneous info with regards to a few locations in my area (no offense Jason! :))

One thing to note: when you access the EDIT POI’s screen you’ll find 2 Dunkin Donuts POI's - the original ‘Dunkin’ Donuts’ and the new ‘Dunkin Donuts’ . You can select or de-select whichever one you want without causing any ill effects to the other. One annoyance is that when you look up a DD address on the NAVIGATE TO screen you have to be mindful of which Dunkin Donuts POI you’ve accessed as one will have more locations than the other.

This should work for any other file as well! Just remember to change the original POI name, e.g., STARBUCKS (old) = STARBUCKS' (new). You can use the original icon as well, just rename it likewise.

ML

Last edited:
Well, to pick a nit. you're not really "updating" factory-loaded POIs. You're just adding more POIs. If a factory-loaded POI is in the wrong place, it will still be in the wrong place when you're done. :)

But it is a decent solution for a current problem. You can have any number of similarly-named ov2 files with similarly-named bmp files with the same icon. :) But you can't edit the factory-loaded POIs, and that's a pain.

Ask a Question