"unlocking maps"

TomTom Model(s)
I just replaced my 910 with one from a firm in Minnesota. They sell used/refurbs ?? at a reasonable price with no accessories.

They ship them with the just the US/Canada maps "unlocked" and the others (presumably "locked"). Not real sure why they do it this way as the unit still has 4 maps in it.

Has anyone found a way to "unlock" the other maps ??

Well, the one that died had 4 maps in it also. It's a 910 with the 20 GB harddrive. This is a 910 also. Looking on TomTom Home, in the section that shows what is on the unit, it says it has 4 maps. They should be US, Canada, Caribe, Western Europe. Only the U.S. and Canada are "unlocked" (activated).

Other advertisements on E-Bay indicate that similiar units may be had with all the maps unlocked for about $25.00 or so more than I paid for this one.

I'm still unsure of the reason for "locking" any of them since the 910s come with these maps originally ???

What you are seeing are ads for hacked maps because a 910 definitely does NOT come with all those maps from TomTom.

A 910 as new was supplied preloaded with three maps:

Western and Central Europe
North America
Guam

With its 20GB hard drive there is plenty of space for additional mapping on the device, it would appear strange though to be selling a device with the correct maps installed but not activated, the 910 when new was supplied with a credit card that had the product codes for each map embosed in it, did you get such a black coloured credit card with the hardware - Mike

Ask a Question