understanding tomtom commands

Hi
when i am on motortway, the voice says contradictory things: stay on the right and take next exit which is not possible as all exits are from left side?
Also, the motorway i drive on has 3 lanes. The gps gave me the following four options at four different places. I am no sure how to interpret these esp when i was not exiting motorway any time soon:
1 keep left and stay on the right lane
2 keep left and stay on the left lane
3 keep right and stay on the left lane
4 keep right and stay on the right lane

all the exits are on the left so there can't be a turn to the right,,

This is my first GPS device so i am kinda new to this whole thingy..

Many thanks

Relax, mate.......thought Kiwis were laid back! ;) At least the ones I met on 2 trips there were (except when the rugby matches were on, but I digress.....)

Anyway............

Keep left and stay left may indication there is an exit approaching and you need to turn left at the exit. Keep right may indicate that a right turn is coming up when you take the exit.

Stay right and keep left may mean NOT to take the next (left) exit but you may be asked to take the next left one. Keep right and stay right may indicate that you are on this same road for a while before your next exit is coming ...........

Last edited:
Please bear in mind that nothing is perfect and since it's no perfect, ones should NEVER depend 100% on it. Again, your local knowledge is far more superior than it (and every other gps units).
GPS is only helping you to get where you want to be, it's NOT decide for you.
In your case, just consider it, your unit, as a device with bad voice instructions.

@NNJ007

Your experience is a good example of why I normally suggest that new users use the GPS under controlled conditions. Use your unit in your local area to see how it routes you and the directions it gives you. Usually once you do this you will understand the instructions and why they are delivered the way they are. I have owned three different manufacturers and each one delivers its directions a little differently. Good luck with you unit and I am sure it will get easier to understand the logic it uses to deliver instructions.

Ask a Question