Unable to use downloaded shut down image

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
I've downloaded startup and shutdown images to the 730. The startup I can see, but when I shut down the unit, the downloaded image does not show up, instead I still get the stock TT image. Using TT Home, I can see that the image is there in the shutdown folder, even their stock image is not there so is not like the TT is using it over the downloaded one. I have gone thru the menu in the 730 and I clicked on "start up preferences, but there is no option to select the shut down image. Is this a bug? How can I change the shutdown image?

You must ensure the shutdown image is appropriate for your model. Antitheftw.bmp for wide (4.3") screens and antitheft.bmp (no 'w') for 3.5 inch screens. Not good enough to rename the file, it must be the proper size.

Also.............in Safety Preferences, check 'warn not to leave in vehicle'.

With that checked, the proper file in the image folder, you should be goo to go.

I get this problem occasionally when I upgrade the software. What I do is actually delete the antitheftw.bmp file. My replacement is named suspendw.bmp (the startup is named splashw.bmp) I lost the sound on mine though???

I actually had loaded a custom sound (to replace the drums). As I recall I have the custom sounds in a folder called splash (there are 3 folders inside this one called: son, splash. suspend). Perhaps I should move them?

If you like some specific shutdown immage sometimes in tom tom home under the shutdown immages on DIFFERENT pages of the shutdown immages, you may find the exact image you like on a different page. You may find in fact multiple immages on various pages of shut down immages in tom tom home. Is really a matter of trial and error to see which one may work. The shut down immage may in fact have a different name of the same immage. Good luck. What you have is definately normal . I had the same problem in my 920. Eventually I picked the correct immage and it worked.

I was using a "program" called splash (from tomtomheaven)...it worked fine for some time, but apparently it does not work with the new software....

I don't need any help creating the .bmp files....the problem I have is with sound. I used this program to create sounds to go with splash screens....the sound just doesn't work any more...I tried moving them to the sound folder and naming them the same as the bmp files, but no luck.

I'm beginning to think that TT only uses one image for both startup and shutdown. I have dragged and dropped 2 .bmp files (correctly sized for widescreen devices) but my 730 only uses one, completely ignoring the other.

Is this right?

I can't find no folder where these images are stored, they are just strewn about the system.

BTW, this brings me to another question I had, and seen the answer around here, but in what folder exactly resides the application?

I need to downgrade (currently have v 8.351) to 8.302. I have deleted it in TT Home. Then, opened up the TT in finder (I'm on a Mac) and have dragged and dropped the .cab file onto the TT disk image. Shutting down and restarting does not help. When it starts, it shows an animation of the SD card not being installed.

What gives?

I need to downgrade (currently have v 8.351) to 8.302. I have deleted it in TT Home. Then, opened up the TT in finder (I'm on a Mac) and have dragged and dropped the .cab file onto the TT disk image. Shutting down and restarting does not help. When it starts, it shows an animation of the SD card not being installed.

What gives?
You need to decompress/extract the cab file using WinRAR or similar - whatever they use on the Mac, then place the contents on the TomTom. The TomTom doesn't deal directly in cab.

The startup and shutdoen .bmp's reside in the root of the unit. If you want your own shutdown image to apply, then rename it 'antitheftw.bmp' (if you have a wide screen unit and image) or antitheft.bmp (3.5 inch screen and file).

Then, in safety preferences, make sure you check Warn not to leave device in car.

I don't need any help creating the .bmp files....the problem I have is with sound. I used this program to create sounds to go with splash screens....the sound just doesn't work any more...I tried moving them to the sound folder and naming them the same as the bmp files, but no luck.

Is the extension .ogg for the specific sound? Think it is supposed to be. Tried a reset on the unit?

Or, perhaps try the Clear Flash tool found here . Download & run it 3 times.

The sound format for startup and shut down sounds is ogg. You need a converter like "audacity" to convert the files. TomTom home recommends that program to convert your own sounds. And also, The sounds DO NOT replace your tomtom drums. They play during the startup and shutdown images. Your tomtom drums will only play after a hard reset. The startup and shutdown sounds will play EVERY time you start up and shut down your TomTom using the power button.

By the way, my ogg files are located in the root of my tomtom. They are named splash.ogg and suspend.ogg

I know because I use startup and shutdown sounds.

I appreciate your assistance, but it worked before with .wav files, so that is not the issue....are you telling me the TT won't play .wav files....?

I'm not sure. I just know that TomTom home told me the file format the file needs to be in and recommends 2 different programs that can convert the files for you. I'm not using any third part software or anything for the sounds. The NavCore itself plays the sounds.

Also, when I download startup and shutdown sounds using TomTom home, it also downloads them as .ogg files. Home says if I create my own, to place them in the "sounds" folder but for some reason on my device, my sounds folder is empty, and the suspend.ogg and splash.ogg are on the root of my drive.

So here is what I tried:

1. pin reset
2. clear flash (3x)...which only disabled height
3. converted the sound files to ogg (boot.ogg, suspend.ogg)
4. placed them in sound file
5. placed them at the root
6. renamed them to match the .bmp files (suspendw.ogg, splashw.ogg)

nothing worked...oh well.

Ask a Question