Unable to store settings: File access error

TomTom Model(s)
Go 510
I connected today my 510 to the computer and TomTom Home detected an update available for the device. The update finished and when I rebooted the error shows up on the screen "Unable to store settings: File access error"

Any ideas how to solve this?! :mad: I noticed other users with the same problem on recent posts but no answer so far to this

I now have version 7.160 (before upgrade 6.525)

Thanks!

Unable to store map settings- File access error

I have had the same problem & also my new GO720 can't find any POIs until I swap to another map, do a successful search & come back. Then the FIND page returns some text.

Anyone herard of this .. could it be a RAM fault ? internal or SD ? faulty POI index file ?
:confused:

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm having problems with this on my ONE. I've run the flash tool twice and it still has the "File Access Error" problem. I've tried replacing the ttsystem file and it didn't boot so I swapped the original back. I've tried swapping some other settings file but nothing happened.

Any other ideas?

Do you have a complete backup prior to the problems? If so, try using Explorer to restore everything rather than just a few files. Maybe that'll work.

Do you have a complete backup prior to the problems? If so, try using Explorer to restore everything rather than just a few files. Maybe that'll work.
My backup was before Navcore 7 lol. but to be honest, nothing has really changed since then. A few extra favourites (that can be saved) but nothing else that I can think of so if I revert to 6, would TT ask me to update to 7 again? If so, that shouldn't be a problem.

hmm, I can't restore... HOME said something about files that are in the backup aren't in the current TT and therefore it can't restore. (huh?)

hmm, I can't restore... HOME said something about files that are in the backup aren't in the current TT and therefore it can't restore. (huh?)

Again, don't use Home. Use Explorer when you want to backup and restore.

Great, thanks!

TT Support netted me a computer response (or if it really was a human, it was basically a template). They directed me to the flash (despite me telling them that I already did it) and then told me to do a factory reset (Which I already did) and then after that just said "call us". Ugh.. when did support get THIS bad?? It was decent the last time I had an issue and it really felt like I was talking to someone. Now it seems like I'm talking to a computer.

Just a side note, it works fine when I operate it through TT HOME. I can change stuff without having any error message (or maybe error messages don't show up when you operate your TT via HOME?)

Just thought I'd let you guys know. I ran a scan disk on the SD Card and it worked. I guess I had a few fragments or errors on the card.

I just wanted to say thanks, Nextourer, for posting that solution. This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere else I can turn up with google, so you just saved me who knows how many hours of random fiddling!

:) :) :) :) :)

For those of you with macs

I was able to solve the problem by doing the mac equivalent of a scandisk:

Open up a terminal and become root (by typing "su" and hitting enter).

Then type "mount" to see what the device path is for the TomTom Disk drive. It should be something like /dev/disk2s1.

Type "umount /dev/disk2s1" (or whatever your device path is) and hit enter.
Then type "fsck_msdos /dev/disk2s1" and answer yes to any "fix this?" questions.

When it is done, type "mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/TomTom\ DISK" and hit enter. Then eject the TomTom disk like usual and you're good!

Ask a Question