Unable to download safety camera alerts

Great suggestion, and I was thrilled when I saw the safetycamera folder. Unfortunately, it is completely emply.
Are the contents too large for someone to zip and attach here?
No, and since they're freely distributed, here's the 4 that go into the folder as of today (9 July). I don't believe they're keyed to any particular unit:

Attachments

• Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.zip
    72.5 KB · Views: 375
Glad to have helped, but am wondering if you're going to run into further issues down the road. These things seem to get updated at least once a week.

I have a different issue. My speedcam alerts are on my TT 540TM, located in the usa/can maps folder. For the past 2 days, I have enabled these alerts, chose warning sounds, etc...However, I have yet to hear these thing activate or warn me of any alerts. I have done mostly Freeway driving. Is there anything else I need to do? Have also tried activating these items in TT Home. Still no alerts. What gives?

Are you certain that there are fixed placement photo radar or red light cameras on your route?

Yes. For comparison, I have trapster on my TT GPS and it always reports a red light camera in a certain area. The TT services alert red light cam does not respond. Anyway, will continue to monitor if TT cam services provides any response at all. Will update when it does.

Yes. For comparison, I have trapster on my TT GPS and it always reports a red light camera in a certain area. The TT services alert red light cam does not respond. Anyway, will continue to monitor if TT cam services provides any response at all. Will update when it does.
When you look down at your TT when approaching the intersection, do you see the little red/yellow/green stoplight icon? Just trying to sort out whether or not the issue is one of a) TT not knowing it's there, b) still not enabled on your unit properly, or c) the audio alerts aren't functioning.

Also, the free TT set is said not to be as complete as some. Can't say one way or another since I've not used any of the others yet.

Thanks. I don't see a red light icon, no sound either. I believe my speedcams are activated since I can push a button to report their presence on my TT. Well anyway, Should I do a lot of city driving, maybe these thing will activate. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have trapster on my units which is free, updated constantly and appears to be reliable, especially the police speed enforcements data. Trapster has warned me many times that when I look out my window, I see a highway patrol unit nearby or one writing out tickets. Thanks Trapster.

The safety camera feature on the 540 (and all non-LIVE Tomtoms) is only for permanent fixed cameras, both speed and red light.

I've never personally seen a permanent speed camera in the USA, but there are growing numbers of red light cameras. And I don't really care about red light cameras, as only immature teenagers and foreigners run red lights in the USA.

In my opinion, the whole system is designed around Europe, where it is common to run red lights, and where there are lots of fixed-location speed cameras. Europeans list fixed speed cameras as one of the most valuable features of a Tomtom, whereas most Americans couldn't care one iota. If the fixed speed cameras were $0.05 per year I wouldn't pay for it, which is why Tomtom had to make them free in the USA.

The real value in the USA would be the temporary speed cameras. This is only available in the LIVE units. When I report a temporary camera, it shows up for 24 hours at that location. But I've never seen another owner's reported speed camera. My bet is that the system works, it's just that there are so so few 340LIVE and 740LIVE owners, and very few of them take the time to report cameras.

You're much better with an app like trapster in the USA, as it's used by so many people (even cops themselves disclose their location - many of the "nicer" PDs care primarily about slowing traffic down, not the ticket revenue that the "meaner" PDs care about).

Tomtom LIVE speed cameras are relatively useless mostly because of lack of customers, they really need to lease notifications from Trapster to get any real value to their American customers.

I have trapster on my units
Totally different system. The info supplied by TomTom is for fixed placement (see my post above) installations ONLY.

Hi,

Sorry noob question, i folow the posted procedure on how to install the safetycamera but it seems not working, i tried to go to a redlight camera infested area, but tomtom didn't gave any warning...

what whent wrong? please see the procedure i made...
any inputs will be very much appreciated.

i downloaded the file:

then extracted it, extracted files shown below;
(do i have to extract the cab file too?)

then put the extracted file to the tomtom directory:

Regards,
Chris

I would suspect the contents of the cab file contain the safety_camera.ov2 file. If so, the .ov2 file, the .ver file and the .dct file go directly into your specific map folder. It'll appear as another poi category that you select to show on your map by managing pois and you can set a warning when near.........

You've put them in the root of the unit (not in the map folder). They don't belong there.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply sir,

I just deleted the files on the wrong folder.

Now, Re-extracted the files that i need:

And, as you said i should put it on the map folder...
Im lost again, i cant find any map folder in tomtom.
Below is a screen grab of the root directory of tomtom.

Can you help me with the map directory?
Am i on the right place?

Regards,
Chris

ok thank you again sir.
I think i put it on the right place the first time, see the arrow on the picture;
Ill give it a try one more time.

Regards,
Chris

It'll appear as another poi category that you select to show on your map by managing pois and you can set a warning when near.........

Sir after adding the files on the specific folder, i cannot find any safety camera on my POI's management.

Any other ideas?

Regards,
Chris

If you have put the .ov2 file in the specific map folder, then when you go to Manage pois, you should be able to scroll down to USA_Canada_Safety Camera.

Don't know what else to tell you.

I'm having similar issue as phey_05, put the ova file in the map directory but still unable to see it show up on POI.

Ask a Question