UK Sat Nav HELP!

Hey, i am looking for a sat nav mainly to help traveling far distances in the UK so i am looking for a tomtom with live functionality, in terms of budget i am looking for something less than £200.

I am mostly traveling to a single location so itinerary planning is not something i need, having read some theads.

Having looked at the comparison chart i think the tomtom XL live seems the best but the tomtom 1000 live also seems to be at a good price point, so really looking for some advise in what you guys believe is the best sat nav for long distances.

Thanks in advance

Hi mikr i see that you were looking for the Go Live 1000, how ever this device is nolonger out there as i had one my self i moved on to the GO Live 825 which is exactly the sam and under the £200 pound mark you are looking at.

Hi mikr i see that you were looking for the Go Live 1000, how ever this device is nolonger out there as i had one my self i moved on to the GO Live 825 which is exactly the sam and under the £200 pound mark you are looking at.

The Go825 is exactly the same as the Go1000?

Beg to differ....

The Go825 has the standard resistive screen.
The Go1000 has a capacitive screen with "multitouch" allowing 'pinch to zoom' and 'swipe' gestures. It is also much brighter than the standard screen, but also more prone to annoying relections.

The Go825 has a 5" screen.
The Go1000 has a 4.3" screen (but the Go1005 is 5")

The GO825 has the rotatable screen
The Go1000 doesn't

The Go825 has a micro-SD card slot for adding extra maps
The Go1000 doesn't, so you need to swap maps via a PC.

The Go825 has the permanently attached "easymount"
The Go1000 has the far superior magnetic windscreen mount.

The Go825 is only available with Europe maps.
The Go1000 is available in Europe-wide and UK-only variants.

So neither is necessarily "better" than the other, but there are some big differences.

Also, you said the Go1000 is no longer available, but it's still available to buy just about everywhere (eg Amazon) and also on the TomTom website.

Mikr... Have you seen the comparison chart/spreadsheet on this site? Get it here:

Tomtom Model/Feature Reference (updated 11/2/2011)

The big difference between the XL and the Go1000 is that the XL uses the old NAV2 software and the Go1000 is the new NAV3. But that's NOT to say that NAV3 is necessarily better. You'll find the forum is full of reports of what features have been left off the new models. It depends what you need as to whether this is important to you.

See my post above for the screen differences (the XL screen is the same as the Go825).
Another big difference is that the XL supports "Itinerary planning" where you can create routes with upto 48 "waypoints" and you can also load and save them to your PC. The new models can only do simple routes with 3 or 4 waypoints and cannot save them.

Hey thanks for the reply guys, i have looked at the comparison chart which is where i picked the XL live out from.

Was really just looking for the best tomtom satnav that delivers good live services to help with the traffic aspect on long journeys, i heard their is something about the distance but on the comparison i think the XL live had a greater distance?

No, the reduced Traffic reporting distance comes "over the air" from TomTom, so it affects all models AFAIK.

THe XL Live is a great unit though. The only thing I don't like about it is the integrated mount, which I find fiddly to keep attaching and removing from the windscreen with the unit itself in the way.

Ask a Question