Tyre question with changing routes

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hey guys/gals

When i use tyre and pick a location it maps it out. But say i want to take a different route without physically clicking on the screen, is that possible? sort of like telling tyre to pick a different route?

my other question is when i use google maps say i choose lake george from new york. i have the option of 3 different routes. the 3rd choice is the taconic state parkway. so i click on that route and choose to send to gps, choose tom tom, yet it only sends to my tom tom the original suggestion for the route. :confused:

Hey guys/gals

When i use tyre and pick a location it maps it out. But say i want to take a different route without physically clicking on the screen, is that possible? sort of like telling tyre to pick a different route?

Not sure why you don't want to mouse-click on your screen. However, you could input in the "search" box in Tyre, a specific address which meets your criteria, and add it to your itinerary to create a different route.

Not sure why you don't want to mouse-click on your screen. However, you could input in the "search" box in Tyre, a specific address which meets your criteria, and add it to your itinerary to create a different route.

because clicking on the route in tyre creates problems. if you are not exact(and its easy to not be) then you can drive past a waypoint and the gps will think you never hit it and keep recalculating to go back to that exact location.

That's not a problem with Tyre, it's a problem with TomTom. You could plan an itinerary with your TomTom and still have that problem if you don't pass close enough to the waypoint. The simple solution is to go into itinerary planning when you realize this has happened and select the waypoint then Mark as Visited.

If I put in my home address as a destination, the precise spot that my TomTom's maps place that point is far enough away that when I get home I have not Arrived.

fzwille, you are correct - thanks for the clarification. I have always solved issue with a left-click and then choose "zoom in" to verify that the waypoint is correctly positioned. Can be disconcerting if you don't catch it, if the point is placed on the wrong side of a divided highway :(

fzwille, you are correct - thanks for the clarification. I have always solved issue with a left-click and then choose "zoom in" to verify that the waypoint is correctly positioned. Can be disconcerting if you don't catch it, if the point is placed on the wrong side of a divided highway :(

I do the same thing that you do, Alfie. However, there is enough variation in maps and devices to prevent you from completely eliminating the 'missed waypoint' problem. On a recent run with a car club, we stopped for lunch at a restaurant. I used Tyre to plan the route, including that stop. Then I downloaded the itinerary to my Go 920. When we got to the restaurant I checked the lat/lon on my TomTom against what showed on my Android phone and on a friend's Garmin. There was enough variation to cause a missed waypoint. I still had to mark the waypoint as visited on my TomTom.

Point well taken, tukatz! Happens to me all the time where the destination does not coincide exactly (lat/long) with what my itinerary planning indicates. However, I was trying to address the issue created when changing the route by dragging and creating a new waypoint. I believe that is what fzwille was asking how to do - how to make the newly-dragged waypoint an "accurate" position (realizing there are variations between units) .

fzwille, do any of these ideas help answer your question?

Point well taken, tukatz! Happens to me all the time where the destination does not coincide exactly (lat/long) with what my itinerary planning indicates. However, I was trying to address the issue created when changing the route by dragging and creating a new waypoint. I believe that is what fzwille was asking how to do - how to make the newly-dragged waypoint an "accurate" position (realizing there are variations between units) .

fzwille, do any of these ideas help answer your question?

yeah thanks that helps with the waypoint. But what about the google maps question? would you try it to see what i mean? Just put in a place for directions in google maps. make sure it gives you more than one route to take. choose the second or third one and choose to send to your tom tom (while its connected and open of course). It only seems to open the initial route given. I know im being a pain in the ass but its just annoying. :sad:

. . . But what about the google maps question? would you try it to see what i mean?

Only the destination address is sent to your TomTom. Even though you might choose the 2nd or 3rd offered route, the TomTom will only navigate to the destination without regard to your choice of wanting to go to an alternate.

There is however, a 3rd party Google Earth-to-TomTom possibility which I've used in the past. Unfortunately, the webpage hasn't recently worked for me probably because of some changes being made by the author:
Here

Does this work for you?

Last edited:
If I put in my home address as a destination, the precise spot that my TomTom's maps place that point is far enough away that when I get home I have not Arrived.

I often hear of people complaining that their Home address is in the wrong place, but I can't understand why it's a problem.
If entering the street address isn't accurate (it hardly ever is) then you can mark the exact spot on the Browse map screen to as much precision as you want, and enter that as your Home location instead.

I often hear of people complaining that their Home address is in the wrong place, but I can't understand why it's a problem.
If entering the street address isn't accurate (it hardly ever is) then you can mark the exact spot on the Browse map screen to as much precision as you want, and enter that as your Home location instead.

Andy, it is not a case of complaining that the home address is in the wrong place. Rather, that is an EXAMPLE of the mapping not providing sufficiently accurate placement to avoid the missed waypoint problem. That occurs not just with my home address, but with MANY of the waypoints for which I supply a specific street address.

If you plan a trip using the street addresses of hotels where you have made reservations, you are very likely to find that some of them are not exactly where the maps 'thought' they were.

If you are accustomed to this anomaly, you can still use itineraries and compensate. It is sometimes annoying, but not disabling.

I have only ever used Tyre to plan my long trips and in the past have set way points (after zooming in).

I would do this with my older One XL. With my new 540 XXL having IQ routes and improved mapping I do let the device choose the routing hoping IQ routes will do a better job than myself or google,

As for stops during my trip, ie hotels ect, I use Tyre in street view to be sure the hotel I will be stopping at is where it should be and send that location to the TT Favorites.

Wishing eveyone safe family travel this summer :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question