Tyre and google maps help

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Just a question in regards to Tyre. When im planning a trip with tyre and i click on the button to run Google maps it opens and I can click on points i want to use as waypoints. I pay close attention that when i click i zoom in on the map to make sure im on the correct side of the highway. But it always seems that along my route my go 720 NUMEROUS times on trips wants me to get off on exits go around a random block and get back on the highway going the same direction. Why does this happen?
I use my gps on my bike and its very frustrating leading a bunch of people on a wild goose chase looking like a dumb ass. lol. :confused:

No guarantees about this explanation, but it would certainly fit...

The geolocation of roads isn't completely precise as yet. Different mapping companies are using slightly different coordinates. In fact, the inaccuracy is why your TomTom does a "road snap", placing you on the nearest road when the coordinates say you could be 50 or 100' off the road to one side or another. Keeps your icon on road and not looking like you're having an off-road experience.

If there is a discrepancy in coordinates between one map source and another (e.g., Google vs. Teleatlas), then if you are feeding coordinate data from one to the other, I could understand why you might be getting pushed to one side of the road or another, etc.

So I punt the ball is what you are saying?
If you find it necessary to shift data between different mapping resources, I'm afraid so - there's always some risk of a mismatch, and the degree to which you'll be impacted by that varies regionally.

If you use TomTom's routing alone to manage your trip itineraries, at least you'll be dealing with a single map set with consistent coordinate data. I know it's not as convenient, but at least it won't send you in loops. I find it easier to do this using Home rather than trying to use the screen on either of my TT units. Most often, I will use a specific POI for the itinerary. If you have spots that you really want to visit or pass by, creating a custom POI of those locations in advance allows you to create an itinerary using them as your waypoints.

i guess i could use just the tom tom and enter addresses and what not but using the gps of course on a bike makes me want to(in TYRE) click and add the routes i want to take. So nowon the tom tom i enter the address and if i want a specific bridge i have to make sure to go back and edit the route to avoid that bridge that i DONT want to take. I wish Tyre would just work the way i want it to along with google maps and my tom tom. it would make life a hell of alot easier. :cool:

The problem is not with Tyre, it is with the imprecision of the maps. When you are following an itinerary with your TomTom and you don't pass close enough to the plotted waypoint, the TomTom assumes you have not yet visited that waypoint and wants to take you back to it. I don't know what the distance is, but it is not all that much. I have had this same problem and I solve it by realizing that I am going where I am supposed to. I go back into itinerary planning, select the waypoint it thinks I missed, and mark it as visited. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question