Two TomToms, how to make the same?

Here is a question for the masses!

I bought two TomTom 720's and gave one to my girlfriend. She never did any updates but I added POIs that she would need. I updated and hacked my 720 to V710 map and I use the 920 poi's and voice input.

My question is how do I get hers to be the same as mine? I tried to just copy my map and pois to an SD card but that didn't work. Her 720 is beyond the "Free Update" period. TechSupport said there is only one option and that is to spend another $100 for V715. Any ideas? TechSupport also said that the only difference between v710 and v715 is "A problem in Fort Meyers, Florida" and we really don't need that. If this is truly a Linux box I should just be able to point the TomTom to the sd card and it will find the new map. I'm not that good at Linux so I might have missed something.

I really just want to get the 920 POI's on her 720.

Thanks for the help.

What do you mean by "I updated and hacked my 720 to V710 map and I use the 920 poi's and voice input"? By saying you "hacked" it would imply that you put illegal map on your unit. If that is the case, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same on your gf's unit? However, by further reading your post, it seems that this is not the case...

To answer your question regarding "putting your map on your gf's unit" -- that is just not possible (legally anyways) due to EVERY MAP being UNIT SPECIFIC (i.e., every map that you d/l through TT, either free or purchased, is actually linked to your unit ID; thus, you cannot swap maps). To see your unit ID, tap the Signal bar, then the VERSION, and it's the first line on top with 8 letter/number combo; something like ABCD 1234. TT as well as other GPS companies have done this in order to minimize illegal sharing of maps (maps = profits). This topic has been discussed here on the forum as well...

You can, however, copy your POIs and replace hers with yours (you would need to copy/paste "poi.dat" and "crpoi.dat" from your to hers). ****AS ALWAYS, MAKE SURE YOU CREATE BACKUPS OF ALL UNITS!!****

If you want to put different maps you have three options, IMO:
1.Pay through TTHome
2.MapShare** (this will not give you an actual map, but rather updates)
3.Illegal means (ie, Google)

Also, I would assume you can hook her TT to TTHome (register first) and I think you will be able to d/l v710 map... Do the same on hers to enable VR (voice recognition) and, as I have mentioned above, copy/paste POI files... and you're set.

Last edited:

Ask a Question