Turning off satnav app

Can someone tell me how I turn off my tomtom europe satnav app on my iphone 3GS before I've reached my end destination. I've tried locking the iphone and going back to the main screen, but the satnav just keeps giving me directions? I've searched but can find a button that cancels or exits the app?

Should be sticky

This question occurs so often it should be sticky.

Click the iPhone Home button to leave the app. Double click it to show all apps running in background along the bottom of the screen. Press and hold the TT icon until the red circle with white bar appears. Press the circle to close the app. Click the Home button twice to return to normal screen.

It's about time this info was included in user instructions immediately after instructions to switch off, since it's non intuitive.

Also, delete your route when you reach your destination!

Although leaving the app in a tidy condition is a good discipline, it's not essential to clear the route before you stop the app running.

When breaking your journey for a meal, for example, there's no need to clear the route, and then re-enter it afterwards. Simply close it down as described above.

Multitasking

If you go to Settings - Advanced and switch Multitasking Off, there is no need to go through this convoluted process. You can simply give a single click on the Home button to stop the App, even if it has a route set.

The downside is that satnav will stop running when you take a phone call.

I've been closing down TT in this way for a couple of weeks and not noticed any adverse effects

Another reason to make sure the app is fully shut down is when you want to add third party POI files to it or change the mapsettings.cfg file to enable custom POI warnings, all the above is easy to do using DiskAid and doesn't require the iPhone to be jail broke - Mike

There should be an easier way ...

I understand how to (really) kill the app but there should be a better way just to quit Tom Tom from within the Tom Tom interface (or even just to turn off Tom Tom's use of Nav Services).

Ask a Question