Turn TT on while not connected to power?

That screen with that option shows up after you click "done" in the battery saving preferences area (really screen off/on preferences).

Hope that does the job for you

To ALL:

I have found that this "NOT POWERING ON" issue occurs typically when the SD card is inserted (as someone previously stated).

My solution to this (that has always worked for me) is that anytime I remove the SD card and then insert it again (NOTE: doesn't matter if you are inserting it with the unit on or off, you get the same situation) I do the following:
1) With the TomTom powered OFF, remove the SD card (this allows the unit to boot using the internal memory).....the TomTom should not be connected to any external power source at this time (i.e. USB should not be connected)
2) Turn on the TomTom power without any SD card
3) After the TomTom boots completely, Insert the SD card
4) After the TomTom reboots completely again on its own (because of plugging in the SD card) press the hardware RESET button on the bottom of the unit.

The unit will now power on after you turn it off, even with the SD Card in the slot.

This keeps my unit operating for 90% of the time. Every once in awhile, I'll get the "NO BOOT" issue after being connected to the PC or to power. I simply follow the above procedure and it again works for a pretty good length of time.

Any time you remove and reinsert your SD card, you should perform the RESET

I'm a bit confused concerning the RESET procedure...

Are ?RESETS? done many ways? Simply inserting the paper clip is one way, inserting paper clip with power on button pushed in and waiting for 10 or is it 15 seconds before removing paper clip then releasing the power on button would be another way?

Another point is unclear to me. The ClearFlash program. What does it actually do? Does it clear the entire internal memory? Its name and functions leave me a bit unsure of when to use it and what results should be expected. I've downloaded the program but have yet to use it as I am unsure of its use.

I'm a bit confused concerning the RESET procedure...

Are ?RESETS? done many ways? Simply inserting the paper clip is one way, inserting paper clip with power on button pushed in and waiting for 10 or is it 15 seconds before removing paper clip then releasing the power on button would be another way?

Another point is unclear to me. The ClearFlash program. What does it actually do? Does it clear the entire internal memory? Its name and functions leave me a bit unsure of when to use it and what results should be expected. I've downloaded the program but have yet to use it as I am unsure of its use.

Most people tell you to wait 15 sec or so when you press the the button with the paperclip. However, you'll notice that when you have the unit ON and press the RESET button with a paperclip, the unit automatically turns OFF. Holding for 15 secs does nothing (except make you wait 15 secs :D )

Think of the clearflash tool similar to resetting the BIOS on a PC. It really just wipes out residual data in the onboard ROM.

Most people tell you to wait 15 sec or so when you press the the button with the paperclip. However, you'll notice that when you have the unit ON and press the RESET button with a paperclip, the unit automatically turns OFF. Holding for 15 secs does nothing (except make you wait 15 secs :D )

Think of the clearflash tool similar to resetting the BIOS on a PC. It really just wipes out residual data in the onboard ROM.

I did notice the unit turns off when inserting the paper clip. For the reset to be properly done, does one need to push the power on button for a few seconds with the paper clip inserted or pushing the power on totally unnecessary?

Last edited:
I did notice the unit turns off when inserting the paper clip. For the reset to be properly done, does one need to push the power on button for a few seconds with the paper clip inserted or pushing the power on totally unnecessary?

I've never had to hold the power button when I press the reset button while the TomTom is on. Simply pressing the reset button (when the tomtom is ON) will properly perform the reset.

When last did you connect and charge the TT via the USB cable on the computer (as opposed to leaving it on the car charger)?

I find that my One New Edition was doing the same, but that if I left the unit charging on the USB cable overnight, it will then start up without cable connection again. I have no clue why this seems to work for me, as it defies logic.

Is the "switch off when external power is lost" box checked in the battery saving preferences menu?

I don't actually seem to have this preference on my 910, are the preferences different while docked in the car and connected to the computer? I would doubt it but just asking as I left my computer cable and desktop dock in Germany so I am just waiting for a replacement table top dock and a cable to check this.

Thanks

OK, at last...

I eventually got access to the dock for connecting the TT to my computer and charge it from the home charger and not have it on the car charger, once it took some charge from the home charger it stayed on when disconnected from the power supply.... so I wonder, does the TT actually charge the battery when it is connected in the car or does it just take the juice it needs to operate? so if the battery does not have any power then being connected in the car will not actually charge the battery, only being connected to a home power supply will do this... am I right here, this is what seems to be happening.

Cheers

OK, at last...

I eventually got access to the dock for connecting the TT to my computer and charge it from the home charger and not have it on the car charger, once it took some charge from the home charger it stayed on when disconnected from the power supply.... so I wonder, does the TT actually charge the battery when it is connected in the car or does it just take the juice it needs to operate? so if the battery does not have any power then being connected in the car will not actually charge the battery, only being connected to a home power supply will do this... am I right here, this is what seems to be happening.

Cheers
It will charge the battery when plugged into a vehicle's power port.

OK, at last...

Cheers
This is an odd subject. When I asked TomTom technical support, they said to charge it in the HOME dock and not to expect as much from the car charger. But that isn't logical at all. The TomTom doesn't KNOW which one it is in unless you turn it on and it connects to your computer, and if anything, the USB from your computer has less disposable current than the converter/usb in the cigarette lighter adapter. So I think that the TomTom tech who told me to charge it in the dock was mistaken.

This is an odd subject. When I asked TomTom technical support, they said to charge it in the HOME dock and not to expect as much from the car charger. But that isn't logical at all. The TomTom doesn't KNOW which one it is in unless you turn it on and it connects to your computer, and if anything, the USB from your computer has less disposable current than the converter/usb in the cigarette lighter adapter. So I think that the TomTom tech who told me to charge it in the dock was mistaken.
This has been discussed before, and I think the reasoning is that a vehicle's current can flucuate, causing charging to be unreliable. This is the claim, but I have charged my unit in vehicles without any problems at all.

Ask a Question