Turn TT on while not connected to power?

TomTom Model(s)
Hi,
I have a TT 910. I used it a couple of times while out walking when I first bought it but now it only seems to turn of when connected to a power supply!

Anyone any ideas as to what might be up with it? i.e. how do I switch it on when it is not plugged in?

I guess the battery must have power as I have had it plugged in for a couple of hours before trying to switch it on while out of the cradle.

Thanks

Hi,
I have a TT 910. I used it a couple of times while out walking when I first bought it but now it only seems to turn of when connected to a power supply!

Anyone any ideas as to what might be up with it? i.e. how do I switch it on when it is not plugged in?

I guess the battery must have power as I have had it plugged in for a couple of hours before trying to switch it on while out of the cradle.

Thanks

Try the reset button on the bottom with a paperclip.

Does it have a sd card in it? If so, try taking it out ans try to turn it on again.

I don't think I have that option on the 910 I have, for a card that is... so I won't have used one.

Thanks again

Last edited:
I don't think I have that option on the 910 I have, for a card that is... so I won't have used one.

Thanks again

Just checked further on this, from what I understand on my 910 the card is incorporated so I don't have access to it.

Still no joy on getting this issue resolved, place it in the mount, plug it in and no problems, take it out of the mount and I can't start it up so basically it is of no use out of the car.

Did you use the right procedure to reset? Push and hold reset, then push and hold power button, count to ten, release power button, release reset, then try powering it on.
Also, try the ClearFlash tool. That may solve the problem as well.

Any ideas as to how I can check this?
Well, on my GO 720 if I tap the bottom bar of the display it pops up a bar on the right side that shows the number of satelites and the battery charge level... If your TomTom has that you might check to see if you indicate a battery charge. Also, does it go dead immediately when you remove power, or does it gracefully shutdown?

Interesting. I'm experiencing this on my ONE v2 but only when using my 2GB SD card. If the card is out or the OEM 1GB card is in, it starts fine when not connected to a charger cord. But when the 2GB car is installed, i could hold down the power button all day nd nothing will happen.

I'll try the reset button and the clear flash tool.

Well, on my GO 720 if I tap the bottom bar of the display it pops up a bar on the right side that shows the number of satelites and the battery charge level... If your TomTom has that you might check to see if you indicate a battery charge. Also, does it go dead immediately when you remove power, or does it gracefully shutdown?

Battery power is OK

Goes dead immediately when power is removed.

Thanks

That really sucks. Is it still under warranty?

It's a long shot, but consider this a "feature", that it will power off "automatically". Maybe someone else with a TT from this thread:

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=6431

... would want to swap their TT with yours.

It is still under warranty, but I didn't want to have to loose it for a couple of weeks for something that there might be a simple fix for.

I have no objection to it automatically shutting down when the car power to it is removed, I just want it to turn on again out of the cradle like it used to.

To ALL:

I have found that this "NOT POWERING ON" issue occurs typically when the SD card is inserted (as someone previously stated).

My solution to this (that has always worked for me) is that anytime I remove the SD card and then insert it again (NOTE: doesn't matter if you are inserting it with the unit on or off, you get the same situation) I do the following:
1) With the TomTom powered OFF, remove the SD card (this allows the unit to boot using the internal memory).....the TomTom should not be connected to any external power source at this time (i.e. USB should not be connected)
2) Turn on the TomTom power without any SD card
3) After the TomTom boots completely, Insert the SD card
4) After the TomTom reboots completely again on its own (because of plugging in the SD card) press the hardware RESET button on the bottom of the unit.

The unit will now power on after you turn it off, even with the SD Card in the slot.

This keeps my unit operating for 90% of the time. Every once in awhile, I'll get the "NO BOOT" issue after being connected to the PC or to power. I simply follow the above procedure and it again works for a pretty good length of time.

Any time you remove and reinsert your SD card, you should perform the RESET

Last edited:
To ALL:

I have found that this "NOT POWERING ON" issue occurs typically when the SD card is inserted (as someone previously stated).

My solution to this (that has always worked for me) is that anytime I remove the SD card and then insert it again (NOTE: doesn't matter if you are inserting it with the unit on or off, you get the same situation) I do the following:
1) With the TomTom powered OFF, remove the SD card (this allows the unit to boot using the internal memory).....the TomTom should not be connected to any external power source at this time (i.e. USB should not be connected)
2) Turn on the TomTom power without any SD card
3) After the TomTom boots completely, Insert the SD card
4) After the TomTom reboots completely again on its own (because of plugging in the SD card) press the hardware RESET button on the bottom of the unit.

The unit will now power on after you turn it off, even with the SD Card in the slot.

This keeps my unit operating for 90% of the time. Every once in awhile, I'll get the "NO BOOT" issue after being connected to the PC or to power. I simply follow the above procedure and it again works for a pretty good length of time.

Any time you remove and reinsert your SD card, you should perform the RESET

I actually mentioned before that the sm card is not removable in my 910 so this is not an option.

Thanks anyway.

Is the "switch off when external power is lost" box checked in the battery saving preferences menu?

I will check when I get down to my lockup where the car and TT is, can't remember a battery saving preference to be honest but am eager to look and see.

Thanks

Ask a Question