Turn off GPS with unit on?

You mean a power switch? All units/models have them. What model do you have?

You mean a power switch? All units/models have them. What model do you have?

Nope - I mean turning off the GPS Receiver, while keeping the device itself on.. IE, so that I can make adjustments indoors, while not wasting battery to try and find satellites.

No its not possible to do that although the Live connected devices offer a "Flight Mode" setting which does turn off the GPS - Mike

No its not possible to do that although the Live connected devices offer a "Flight Mode" setting which does turn off the GPS - Mike

I thought the "Flight Mode" just turned off the cellular modem. GPS is receive-only so it can be used while flying.

Nope - I mean turning off the GPS Receiver, while keeping the device itself on.. IE, so that I can make adjustments indoors, while not wasting battery to try and find satellites.

The Tomtom battery usually lasts for at least 30 minutes, so you can do a good amount of indoor programming and just recharge it with a cigarette lighter when you're driving. Or just keep it plugged into a USB cable while you're adjusting it indoors.

I thought the "Flight Mode" just turned off the cellular modem. GPS is receive-only so it can be used while flying.
That was what I used to think, but the reality is different, once you put the device in flight mode it turns off the GPS, GPRS, Bluetooth etc and Navigation is disabled, you can prepare a route but it won't show you speed or position due to the GPS being turned off.
I am not entirely convinced that switching the GPS off when in flight mode is a good idea though as it will entice users to turn flight mode off in an aircraft so they can see where they are, with the GPRS modem fired up and can see that causing interference on the aircrafts comms system let alone some of the other more important systems - Mike

Ask a Question