TT1 XL No Go - Help Please

Hi all -

Here's the situation. Got a TT1 XL which I just hooked up to my Mac using TT Home v1.5 build 106. Found a new application update (v6.593) so I uploaded it. Now, upon restart and after numerous resets I get the yellow status bar but after 90% or so full it gives me the dreaded 'red cross'.

Any ideas? I could use the help. Of course have plans to use it tomorrow for a trip and TT tech support isn't around until 9AM. Thanks in advance all!

PS - weird and maybe not related but a few days ago I lost all the sounds including the startup 'drums' and touch screen 'clicks'. So I figured this would cure it. Yea little did I know...

UPDATE - after installing HOME on a non-Intel Mac and updating to 6.593 again everything seemed to work fine EXCEPT USA/CANADA is now not available? Home says its installed and I confirmed the files are there but it ain't coming up in change map preferences!!! Only Guam. SO - anyone know where I can get this ASAP? Download I hope!! Hopefully TT tech support will help me tomorrow.

Last edited:
That's a firmware upgrade. How's your initial backup?

At this point, you might as well get your device back to ground zero. Assuming you made a backup of the original state of your TT1 XL, the firmware will be returned to a working condition.

Once everything is functional, it's likely you'll survive the weekend. Come Monday you can then contact TomTom if you're still having problems with the firmware update. Good luck!

Restored but with no USA/Canada Map

Thanks - did the restore and now I'm thinking my original USA/Canada map files weren't 'good'? Everything in HOME looks good however the unit isn't offering them as a choice of maps. It's even saying its taking up 475 Mb!! Anyone?

Check the TomTom Download folder/directory on your 'puter.

I'm not familiar with how TomTom Home files are managed on a Mac. In Home, check Preferences | Advanced to locate the "Download" folder, then check for anything suspicious. If the initial download of the files seemed to complete normally, they may still be visible there.

Try deleting all the files in the Download folder and do an update again.

If that doesn't work, delete those files, delete everything on the TT1 XL, reinstall from your initial backup, then log into Home. It should offer the updates once again. That should do it.

I can't think of anything else to suggest.

Initial 'restore' done

Thanks Wiley - yep did exactly what you suggested. still no USA/Canada. Otherwise everything looks and works fine.

I guess I will call TT and see if I can get USA/Canada files. Otherwise it looks like I'm buying :(

Are they available here?

Contact TomTom support and see what they can do for you.

Thanks Wiley - yep did exactly what you suggested. still no USA/Canada. Otherwise everything looks and works fine.

I guess I will call TT and see if I can get USA/Canada files. Otherwise it looks like I'm buying :(

Are they available here?

Now that you have demonstrated due diligence to make sure that you never had workable software (Right?), it's very likely that the support folks will pull something out of the hat for you.

Nope, the maps aren't available here.

Take a look at the two links below that show the files that are installed on my TT1 (NOT XL). I have the 6.65 maps. the first pic is of the entire folder and file set that is loaded in my TT1. The second pic is of the files in the "USA and Canada" folder. Maybe you can get some gist of what should be where on your device.

1. All TT1 Files and Folders
2. USA and Canada folder contents

Back in business..

Thanks Wiley - you've been awesome. I am back in business. Turns out - and I quote TT tech support "Yes, the backup routine has been known to create a bad file" so that's the culprit. I dwnld'd the USA/Can maps and all is well. So a call to the main number tomorrow for a credit is what tech support suggested. I'll let you know how it goes.

Unit is back 100% with the latest maps and software. I think I'll just leave it in the car for a while now :)

Good news!

Thanks Wiley - you've been awesome. I am back in business. Turns out - and I quote TT tech support "Yes, the backup routine has been known to create a bad file" so that's the culprit. I dwnld'd the USA/Can maps and all is well. So a call to the main number tomorrow for a credit is what tech support suggested. I'll let you know how it goes.

Unit is back 100% with the latest maps and software. I think I'll just leave it in the car for a while now :)

Way to go! It's always comforting to discover that you were not the only one having a specific problem. Sometimes it doesn't get worked out...sometimes it does.

Cheers.

Hi all -

Here's the situation. Got a TT1 XL which I just hooked up to my Mac using TT Home v1.5 build 106. Found a new application update (v6.593) so I uploaded it. Now, upon restart and after numerous resets I get the yellow status bar but after 90% or so full it gives me the dreaded 'red cross'.

Any ideas? I could use the help. Of course have plans to use it tomorrow for a trip and TT tech support isn't around until 9AM. Thanks in advance all!

PS - weird and maybe not related but a few days ago I lost all the sounds including the startup 'drums' and touch screen 'clicks'. So I figured this would cure it. Yea little did I know...

UPDATE - after installing HOME on a non-Intel Mac and updating to 6.593 again everything seemed to work fine EXCEPT USA/CANADA is now not available? Home says its installed and I confirmed the files are there but it ain't coming up in change map preferences!!! Only Guam. SO - anyone know where I can get this ASAP? Download I hope!! Hopefully TT tech support will help me tomorrow.

Well, this exact thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. Tomtom is going to tell you to return it to the store you got it from. I had packed everything back in the box before one last final try. I have a new black macbook and my tomtom one xl worked great until i installed that same application, which apparently isn't compatible with macs so when you install it, the mac screws up the application (thats how they explained it to me). So I took my software and luckily I had another computer in the house (a gateway media edition) and loaded the software on there. I deleted the application off the tomtom that my mac had tried to place on there, and then installed it again with my windows based pc. After that, everything worked great. I don't know if i helped at all, but if anything, this should be a warning to anyone trying to hook their one xl to a mac. DON"T DO IT!! AT least not yet.

Refund on its way.

Well, this exact thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. Tomtom is going to tell you to return it to the store you got it from. I had packed everything back in the box before one last final try. I have a new black macbook and my tomtom one xl worked great until i installed that same application, which apparently isn't compatible with macs so when you install it, the mac screws up the application (thats how they explained it to me). So I took my software and luckily I had another computer in the house (a gateway media edition) and loaded the software on there. I deleted the application off the tomtom that my mac had tried to place on there, and then installed it again with my windows based pc. After that, everything worked great. I don't know if i helped at all, but if anything, this should be a warning to anyone trying to hook their one xl to a mac. DON"T DO IT!! AT least not yet.

tomtom2338 - I called TT yesterday & explained the situation. The tech on the line had me delete ALL copies of the maps I had - therefore I had no choice but to download a new one. I explained the situation & gave them my case reference number. Thankfully the excellent tech I had kept great notes. They are refunding me the purchase price. I do agree until a new version of the TT HOME software is available, I would stay away from any Intel-based Mac for a while. I actually got it all working 100% perfectly on my wife's iBook.

tomtom2338 - I called TT yesterday & explained the situation. The tech on the line had me delete ALL copies of the maps I had - therefore I had no choice but to download a new one. I explained the situation & gave them my case reference number. Thankfully the excellent tech I had kept great notes. They are refunding me the purchase price. I do agree until a new version of the TT HOME software is available, I would stay away from any Intel-based Mac for a while. I actually got it all working 100% perfectly on my wife's iBook.

You know, I had it working on my mac for about 2 days, and then it kaputted. So I am staying away until i hear otherwise! But, thats great you got it working on the imac. Even better to hear your getting a refund!!!

Ask a Question