TT1 LE is it a keeper?

I just bought the tt1 le at best buy for 139.00. I have been reading the threads on this site and others and I am getting more and more confused. Does anyone have reliable and complete specs for the le? Including chipset (sirf III or other), number of POI's in database, battery life expectancy, etc. Is the LE worth keeping or should I continue looking for a different GPS? Many users seem to have negative comments about the LE. Is it as reliable as the 2nd and 3rd additions. Sorry for all of the questions but a GPS is a luxury for me and I want one that is reliable and has an extensive POI database. I tried out a MIO C230 and loved it except for the POI's. Same with units from Maxx digital, Becker and Amcor. Any help would be appreciated.

I just bought the tt1 le at best buy for 139.00. I have been reading the threads on this site and others and I am getting more and more confused. Does anyone have reliable and complete specs for the le? Including chipset (sirf III or other), number of POI's in database, battery life expectancy, etc. Is the LE worth keeping or should I continue looking for a different GPS? Many users seem to have negative comments about the LE. Is it as reliable as the 2nd and 3rd additions. Sorry for all of the questions but a GPS is a luxury for me and I want one that is reliable and has an extensive POI database. I tried out a MIO C230 and loved it except for the POI's. Same with units from Maxx digital, Becker and Amcor. Any help would be appreciated.

If the device had 1000 good features they'd all be ignored for one bad one. That's basically what you see on the forums. These forums are for tech support so to speak, so everything you read here WILL put these GPS's in a bad light....that's not to say that they are bad GPS systems. I for one love my TT1LE. It's perfect for what I need. No, it doesn't have bluetooth calling. No, it doesn't have an MP3 player or photo slideshow (which I don't understand...I use my CD player for MP3s and who in their right mind would watch photos while they're driving). It does what it's supposed to do and it does it well, in my opinion.

A simple Google search would lend you a hand, I searched "Tom Tom One LE specs" (without the quotes) and the very first link was this one, which answers many of your questions in a nice, easy to read and colorful box.
Here's the link I speak of.

Please reply with haste.

The main issue with the LE seems to be the buggy firmware it shipped with. Many are reporting that the units won't get lock on the satellites unless it's resetted. That's a bug and seems to be fixed with the updates from the Tomtom website.

The chipset is no big deal at all. Almost all the modern chips are going to be fine in this application. People make way too much noise on the chip. I've got 3 GPS units - one built in to my 2004 car (unknown mfg of chipset), one in my Garmin Vista Cx of unknown origin, and the Whatever in the TT one LE. All perform great and both the Garmin and TT will lock onto a signal in my house.

Other than that, the unit is fine - ours is almost as good as the $2k unit I have in my car (built in). The built in has a few more features, but the Tomtom is very close and very good.

That being said, steer clear of the "non name brand" units. Maps and updates are the lifeblood of these things. You never know if Mio, Bob's Nav Co, etc. will be in business in 2-5 years when you want a map upgrade. I'd stick with one of the top 3: Tomtom, Garmin, or Magellan.

Last edited:

Ask a Question