TT XL Live IQ routes - Freezing/Rebooting

Hello eveyone - im new to this so please be gentle!

I got rid of my old TT Go 500 in January and purchased a shiney new TT XL Live IQ Routes Edition (Is that the right name?). Its been working beautifully since then, until the last few weeks. I conencted it to TT home to update the map share/POI's etc, and since then its been randomly rebooting and freezing on various screens.

At times when I plan a route, it will freeze at the planning screen, either during or after calculating the route, and writing the insutructions, and other times when its navigating me to my destination the display will freeze (but instructions are still spoken) or it will simply turn itself off, and then I get the blue screen with the disc symbol on it, and it will come back to life of its own accord, but spend 5 minutes looking for GPS and then carry on as if nothing has happened.

Ive removed all my POI categories that I added recently, and its a little bit better, but today I embarked on a 5 hour journey, and it crashed 2 or 3 times, with the odd freeze thrown in too.

Does anyone have any ideas?

For starters, if you have not done so, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Have you tried a rest on the unit? (hold the power button unitil it reboots, about 10 seconds or so)

Hi dhn

Thanks for your swift reply. Ive done the "reset" by holding in the power button. The screen then goes green momentarily, and then the blue screen with the disc symbol comes up. Is this what you mean?

I have done a Home backup, but not an explorer backup - i'll do that tonight.

I also have a TT XL Live IQ Routes Edition which up until a couple of weeks ago has been working fine. Now it reboots randomly and has difficulties connecting to live services. Is this an issue with my unit or are there server issues??

Well I'm pleased others are experiencing the sale problems. Freezing rebooting etc (though I should add I and sure you rather not have this at all)

The advice so far is to do an Explore back up which I have done though in the past I have done a TT Home back up. Can't remember if my problems started immediately after then or not, but judging by the dates of the posts, this seems to be a recent event.

The question is after doing a back up what next?

As I said, it may be a server issue, in which case there is nothing you can do on your end except try to connect later.

If it is not a server issue, after the Explorer backup, you can format your unit (not quickformat) and use Explorer to restore your backup. That sometimes helps when units are encountering issues.

Thanks for the info.

you make point of using Explore to back up and not TT Home. Having done the latter on a previous occasion, what are the consequences and why avoid Home in the first place?

Hi agian all

Just a quick update for you all.

I carried out an explorer backup, full format and restore of the map folder to the device. I then downloaded the TT application via HOME and reinstalled the voices etc.

Initially this resolved the problem, and other than one freeze during the initial restart the device worked ok. However today I have expereinced a reboot/freeze of the unit again.

Im away on a business trip currently, and my journey from the office to the hotel is only about a 10 minute drive. However after the initial freeze & reboot the device seems to function ok.

Does anyone have any further advice on how i can prevent the crashing? If not i'll have to return the device to the store and get a replacement.

My device wants to reboot virtually everytime I switch it on. Generally it is fine after that though today on a 100 mile journey lasting 2 hours it randomly rebooted 3 times.

i did an Explorer back up a couple of weeks ago, but only since my problems started. question 1 - is formatting my device and reinstallng likely to fix this problem?

If not - no one seems to have mentioned installing the latest software from TT although looking at the comments on Amazon this is as likely to screw mw up even more.

any advice on the next move?...

Not sure what model you have and what application but since you have an Explorer backup, you can try formatting the unit. Not quickformat.

Then use Explorer to restore the backup.

Also, don't know what, if anything, comments by people on Amazon are referring to.

XL LIVE IQ Routes

Comments generally relate to unsuccesful or incomplete updates (XP seems to be a problem, Vista's fine bizaarely). These are on the UK website not that should make much difference.

I'm reading regularly the same problems I am experiencing, and they all seem to have occured in the last 6 -8 weeks. Assuming TT do not provide wireless updates, why are the devices seemingly malfunctionin in this way?

I contacted TT who asked me to do a full format/restore of the device. This failed to resolve the problem, so they asked for it to come in for repair. They then sent it back stating that there were no problems, howev er when I turned the device on again it had been reset to factory defaults.

I set it up, and it crashed straight away. I then added my POI's and voices, and it wouldnt play any sounds. I removed everything and put it back to the state it was in when it came back from TT, and it still wouldnt play any sounds.

I did a soft reset and it then worked ok soundwise, however none of the live services worked. Another reset and the live services were ok, but now it wasnt giving any route instructions!! Arrggg!!! ANOTHER reset and everything worked, but then after 5 minutes on the route it froze up, but was oddly still giving instructions.

I tried to reset it again, and it stuck on the green screen saying "ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt" for about a minute, and then turned off.

So another email to TT, and they wanted me to delete my mapsettings.cfg file (which isnt on the device). They finally relented and now want the device back again and the windscreen mount, and car charger?

I formatted my device, reinstalled software, restored maps etc. It worked for 1/2 day before it started to reset itself again. Very frustrating. Calling TOMTOM tomorrow.

I bought my XL 750 Live 2 weeks ago. After a few days the freeze/restart problems started.

I called TT, it should be a know problem, there are still investigating what's the reason.
What I had to do -> go back to factorysettings and during the restart of that action also doing a reset with the button. I also keep mapsharing disabled and haven't updated it with TT Home. It works already 5 days without restarts now.
Next week I'm gonna try to update and enable map-sharing and see if the problems return then.

Same thing...reboot issues

I have the 340 XL Live and my GPS randomly reboots while driving. I've tried re-installing the software, resetting the device, no luck. And yes, I've called customer support and they have been NO help thus far. I'm going to call them again tomorrow. The unit is 1 week old.

Try making an Explorer, not Home, backup. Then reformat the unit. Don't use quickformat and restore the backup, again using Explorer.

This procedure often resolves such a problem.

Ask a Question