TT Traffic in USA

Hi guys, just joined, so be gentle! :p

I am coming to the USA in 10 days time, and was wondering what the quality of the Traffic is like. I noticed that Tomtom do not refer to it as HD traffic like we get here in Europe.

Is it just RDS-TMC based data that is broadcast via different methods? Or is it some other source of information?

Any info would be appreciated.

Steven

Why do we need to be gentle with you Brits??? :)

Ok, Ok.........just kidding.............

Both gatorguy and mikealder are supermods here as well. So, I suspect they'll jump into this thread at some point. In fact, mvl is also a supermod here; you know him too.

The States has the 3 levels: RMC (you know the antennae aren't compatible between NA and Europe), Traffic + obtained by Bluetooth through a tethered phone and LIVE which, like Europe, has 'issues' now and then with TT's servers but those that have it say it works well, when it works.

And I'm pretty sure you saw the post from the member at PGPSW say his LIVE unit worked in the States.

Gatorguy and mvl can speak more to that one.

HD has not been available in the States.......yet. But with the Cebit around the corner, who knows what new models and features TT will be announcing?

(p.s. feel free to use your Avatar from PGPSW and TTB here as well....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Traffic reporting around the Orlando area, even TMC, will be OK, but nothing is great. My 740's reports are much more wide-ranging than they were as little as 6 months ago, so there's definitely been recent improvements. Still common for events to be over or go unreported tho. Nothing like the accuracy of your HD service there in GB.... when it's working;)

With the latest TomTom GO models in the US, can you still get Live services via a bluetooth connected cell phone?

Is the Traffic+ that's received w/ a bluetooth phone the same data you get with the add-on TMC traffic receiver?

The traffic via bluetooth is supposed to be more accurate and more current than that gotten via the rds antenna.

Many thanks guys. Got my plan of what tech i'm bringing over with me.

Hopefully my 950 will be able to use most of the LIVE services out there.

Over here in the UK, the Bluetooth traffic is the same as the RDS-TMC, except from the RDS-TMC traffic is only received for a radius of around 100/150 miles from the users' position. The bluetooth version is the exact same information, but it includes the whole of the UK.

So when I go visit family 250 miles from my position, the RDS-TMC information downloaded on initial startup will not include any traffic data for my destination, but instead be downloaded around halfway into the journey.

The other advantage is that the bluetooth method using a cell phone will usually have a better strength of signal than the RDS-TMC receiver!

Steven

Bluetooth traffic is in a strange state in the US right now.

RDS-TMC is about 5-10 minutes late from "reality", but bluetooth is only about 3-5 minutes late, which is the same as LIVE traffic. Larger cities have an extensive network of highway road-sensors, so in big cities either solution will not miss any traffic jams. RDS-TMC is powered by Inrix in most cities, which has good highway coverage and limited sideroad coverage.

However Bluetooth traffic is being phased out in the US, and Tomtom is deliberately crippling it. Bluetooth traffic only uses Inrix as it's vendor feed. LIVE traffic uses Inrix, Trafficcast, and (unconfirmed) the realtime speeds of LIVE and tomtomwork devices (no cellphones like the UK). Even with Inrix, Tomtom only licensed the highway feed for blutooth, and it is missing all the sideroad coverage available to LIVE devices.

The American bluetooth traffic shares a server with Europe's HD traffic, so it goes down exactly when HD-traffic does. American LIVE traffic uses a separate USA-only server, with it's own unique outage schedule.

The 950 only runs RDS-TMC through the traffic dock (not the antenna), and there's no dock compatible with the US traffic frequencies. So if LIVE doesn't work, you may be out of a traffic solution altogether.

I'm really interested in how your LIVE experiment goes. If LIVE traffic works, I'm seriously considering importing a 940 from the UK. I'm getting sick of all the unresolved bugs with the 930 application.

Bluetooth traffic is in a strange state in the US right now.

RDS-TMC is about 5-10 minutes late from "reality", but bluetooth is only about 3-5 minutes late, which is the same as LIVE traffic. Larger cities have an extensive network of highway road-sensors, so in big cities either solution will not miss any traffic jams. RDS-TMC is powered by Inrix in most cities, which has good highway coverage and limited sideroad coverage.

However Bluetooth traffic is being phased out in the US, and Tomtom is deliberately crippling it. Bluetooth traffic only uses Inrix as it's vendor feed. LIVE traffic uses Inrix, Trafficcast, and (unconfirmed) the realtime speeds of LIVE and tomtomwork devices (no cellphones like the UK). Even with Inrix, Tomtom only licensed the highway feed for blutooth, and it is missing all the sideroad coverage available to LIVE devices.

The American bluetooth traffic shares a server with Europe's HD traffic, so it goes down exactly when HD-traffic does. American LIVE traffic uses a separate USA-only server, with it's own unique outage schedule.

The 950 only runs RDS-TMC through the traffic dock (not the antenna), and there's no dock compatible with the US traffic frequencies. So if LIVE doesn't work, you may be out of a traffic solution altogether.

I'm really interested in how your LIVE experiment goes. If LIVE traffic works, I'm seriously considering importing a 940 from the UK. I'm getting sick of all the unresolved bugs with the 930 application.

Just a question as to why I get some secondary roads with bluetooth traffic on Long Island NY

Like the OP, I am coming to the US (in May for 4 weeks). I shall be bringing my UK-originated GO 930T which I have just bought and of which I am awaiting delivery.

I understand the rds-tmc will not work in the US. If I buy one when I arrive (In Savannah GA to kick-off with) would it work with my TomTom?

Would it be worth it?

Where could I buy it? Do chains like Frys or Cicuit City sell them?

Many thanks.
John

Johnash, where will you be traveling? Unless it's in some of the largest metros, I probably wouldn't bother with the expense or trouble of a traffic cable. Honestly won't make much of a difference in your daily travels. The reports aren't reliable enough to cause me to detour from the planned route in most cases.

I'm sure you're right. It's a new toy and I must restrain myself.

Amongst others, we will be driving in, or traversing, the following during our 4 weeks:-
Savannah GA, Charleston SC, Birmingham AL, Nashville TN, Memphis TN, Little Rock AR, Kansas City, MO then, Las Vegas, NV and later, Boston MA.

If it's more trouble than it's worth , when I'd waste loads of time trying to get it to work instead of seeing the sights, then I will refrain! I would not be popular with my partner!

But, on the other hand, if we were easily to avoid that hour-long traffic hold up on the Interstate.......

Thanks for the advice
John

I'm sure you're right. It's a new toy and I must restrain myself.

Amongst others, we will be driving in, or traversing, the following during our 4 weeks:-
Savannah GA, Charleston SC, Birmingham AL, Nashville TN, Memphis TN, Little Rock AR, Kansas City, MO then, Las Vegas, NV and later, Boston MA.

If it's more trouble than it's worth , when I'd waste loads of time trying to get it to work instead of seeing the sights, then I will refrain! I would not be popular with my partner!

But, on the other hand, if we were easily to avoid that hour-long traffic hold up on the Interstate.......

Thanks for the advice
John

With as much driving as you're doing, I'd recommend getting one. Especially as I didn't realize you're going into the heavily congested northeast.

Problem is, right now, the antenna's not sold in many (any?) stores. With the US recession gadget customers tend to buy from cheaper online websites. So commodity items like the traffic antenna are no longer sold in stores (and stores like Circuit CIty went bankrupt), but are everywhere online.

So you'd have to find a way to mail order one to a hotel. If you are visiting family at your early destination, you're best off having them mailorder and just re-paying them. There's a $20 antenna on ebay (from digitalonesurplus) that works fine with the 930.

You can try having the ebay site just mail it to your hotel like:
"Please hold for first name/lastname"
"Guest arriving mm/dd/2010" (use the american date format)

That appears to be the item, yes.

But, interesting that the seller didn't mention that the subscription ceases after one year (unlike Europe where the subscription is for life).

And you have 7 days return policy, supposedly. But, you won't know if the antenna works until you get to the States.

Finally, just so you know..that model is the older rds-tmc antenna model. The newer ones connect via the usb port on the unit and supposedly have a stronger signal

Thanks.

When visiting the US in May/June, this will be plugged into the GO 930T I have on order from the UK, Maybe I'll look for a USB model?

For the number of dollars involved, I'm willing to take a chance on it working. The year's subscription is tied to the TomTom device I guess.

No, the yearly subscription for the antenna is tied to the antenna, not the unit.

So, for the next trip, whenever that is, I would just need to buy another receiver?

An antenna purchased in North America comes with a 1-year subscription. Aftet that, you have to renew ($60 US/yr).

Does seem dumb if you can buy a new antenna for 1/3 the cost of a subscription renewal, eh? But also remember that ebay (and its sellers) are NOT recognized resellers of TT products. As such, there may be issues whether the antenna will work.

Probably will, just remember 'buyer beware'

The $20 ebay antenna is the older kind (with the round, not usb plug). The 930 accepts either type. Since the round antenna only works with older devices, I suspect that's why it's so cheap.

I haven't seen the USB antennas sold for less than $60.

Ask a Question