TT Traffic - First it Works, Then it Doesn't

I have been having the wierdest problem with TT730. Ever since upgrading to the latest OS (the one that finally fixed Stuttering Susan), I can't seem to maintain a wireless data connection for TT traffic for more than a few days straight.

I had been using my T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8320 with my TT730 since January with no problems. Once I updated my OS last month, I could not access TT traffic via wireless data connection. After a week or so of trying (unsuccessfully) to reestablish the wireless data connection I gave up. A few weeks later I decided to give it one more try and was able to setup the wireless data connection using the sames settings that previously weren't working. Voila! It suddenly worked again for no good reason. Two days later my TT crashed during a traffic update and I could not longer setup my wireless data connection.

Once more I spent about 1 week trying periodically to re-setup my wireless data connection and could not. Today, on a whim, I tried it again and it suddenly works again. :confused: I just don't get it. In my experience with computers and electronic gadgets these things usually work or don't work. The best I can tell is that during the times when I am trying to setup the connection and it fails, no data seems to be transmitted over the phone (there are no signal arrows signifying data communication on the display).

I think when the TT730 crashes, something gets wacky in the flash memory - kind of like the phantom power ons and other quirky things that TomToms tend to do. Most of the time a pin reset solves these problems, but my wireless data connection woes are never solved that easily. It seems that it takes several resets or power on/offs to clear out the digital garbage that is causing the wireless data hangup.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what might be happening? :confused:

Re-boot the BB

I do not know what is happening or why. However, I do know the solution.

I found with my TT730 and BB8320 that when it stops working, I need to reboot the BlackBerry. I open the back, remove the battery, re-insert the battery and it works again.

I have also found that the server that handles communications seems to go down a lot. It cuts off while i am driving and if I am lucky, it will come back up (this is in strong signal areas) but often not. It was down for 2-3 days about a month ago, and all attempts to get connected were a waste of time.

I do not know what is happening or why. However, I do know the solution.

I found with my TT730 and BB8320 that when it stops working, I need to reboot the BlackBerry. I open the back, remove the battery, re-insert the battery and it works again.

Thanks for the advice. I never really gave much consideration to also rebooting my BB. Come to think of it, I did recently reboot my blackberry after installing an application, so that may in fact be the answer. I guess only time will tell - the next time traffic goes down and I can't connect, I will also reboot my BB. If that solves the problem then I will know what to do in the future.

I have to say that while I think my TT is great for basic navigation, the "advanced" features are extremely buggy, unreliable, and very frustrating. I can't wait until August when I can upgrade my phone to a new 8900 Curve with built in GPS. :mad:

T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8320

I am sure you probablly know but tom tom doesn't list t=mobile backberry Curve 8320 as being compatable for traffic use at all. I know that with some cell phones listed you can push it throught by adding some manuel settings when the nams of the phones come up in pareing. Some blackberry phones do work with hands free calling but not traffic. As I said you can play with some manual settings when prompted. Good luck

And.....BOOM! It's gone again. Tried the BB reboot, pin reset on the 730, - I can setup the data connection, but can't update any of my TT services for anything. What seems different this time around is that data is definitely being transferred over the phone, the update connections continually fail. When it first started acting up today I was getting messages that my traffic subscription had expired, even though it is good until 2010. I am slowly being convinced that the GO is the biggest piece of junk ever. Does anyone test this crap? TT is worse than Microsoft with the endless bugs, useless updates, and quirky hardware issues.

I don't know if this contributes anything to the conversation, but I HAVE observed this behavior with my TMo Blackberry Flip.

When connected to my HOME network via WiFi, and make a phone call that utilizes the WiFi connection, the WiFi connection (from the BB) will drop after a given amount of time.

Rebooting the Flip re-establishes the connection again.

WOnder if you are seeing the same behavior when you are using your BB as a conduit via a wireless data connection. I have found that this is my only minor complaint with my BB, WiFi and data connections seem sporadic at best.

I don't know if this contributes anything to the conversation, but I HAVE observed this behavior with my TMo Blackberry Flip.

When connected to my HOME network via WiFi, and make a phone call that utilizes the WiFi connection, the WiFi connection (from the BB) will drop after a given amount of time.

Rebooting the Flip re-establishes the connection again.

WOnder if you are seeing the same behavior when you are using your BB as a conduit via a wireless data connection. I have found that this is my only minor complaint with my BB, WiFi and data connections seem sporadic at best.

I use UMA (wi-fi) calling all the time on my BB 8320 at home (I am using the T-Mo Hotspot Router) and never drop calls. I have had dropped wi-fi calls in places that have shaky internet connections.

However, this is all occurring on the EDGE or GPRS network. The thing that really chaps my ass is that WHEN it works, it works well. I just can't seem to get any kind of consistency out of this thing. In my opinion, a function should either work or not work, not work only sometimes if the sun is out and the stars are aligned.

tt traffic

Sometimes after trying to reset you unit different ways., tom tom traffice has to be reset on their computers. You really have to call tom tom support and tell them about your traffic problem. In my 4 years of use on my tom tom I had to have traffic reset 3 times on tomtoms computers Then it workesd on it

Sometimes after trying to reset you unit different ways., tom tom traffice has to be reset on their computers. You really have to call tom tom support and tell them about your traffic problem. In my 4 years of use on my tom tom I had to have traffic reset 3 times on tomtoms computers Then it workesd on it

Sounds reasonable, however I can get Traffic and other TT services to work when I use Operate My Go in TT Home. Also, I have no problem logging into my account and downloading updates on TT home. Is there a reason for my Services to fail only when using the wireless data connection?

CP12065 -

Have you tried disabling bluetooth encryption on your blackberry for the tomtom bluetooth connection? Look under options - bluetooth on the blackberry. I found that cured the intermittent connection problems on my AT&T Bold.

Ask a Question