tt start 20 bluescreens (crashes) my pc

TomTom Model(s)
start 20
every time I connect my tt to my pc the PC crashes either immediately if mytomtom is connected on startup or when I connect the TT after I start mytomtom programme

I am running windows 7 professional, IE 8 on a lap top

have seen our techie at work and got them to update everything

have tried and tried, just don't know what to do - so frustrating only bought it as we're off to France next week

have reset tt, tried new cable - just can't do a thing!

any ideas or should I just take it back to the shop? :sad:

Download the freeware version of REvo Uninstaller from here:
http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

Completely uninstall Home 3. Then get a fresh copy from tomtom.com/getstarted and install.

Also: 1) DO use the cable that came with your device and 2) use a usb port on the back, not the front of the computer.

Finally, are you SURE your model does use MyTomTom and not Home 2???

Yes dhn, the Start 20 and 25 do both use MyTomTom, it's only your 45/55 models that are "oddities" going back to NAV2 and Home

Yes dhn, the Start 20 and 25 do both use MyTomTom, it's only your 45/55 models that are "oddities" going back to NAV2 and Home
Don't forget the 50/55 are also Nav2. I keep having to jog that bit of my memory, too.

Is there a 50?
I thought there was... but before I sent my last post, I checked the US website and could only see the Start 45+55
And for completeness, is there/was there a '40' too?

Hi

Have re installed mytomtom 3 times so far - still crashes it

tech support says it it my pcs fault but doesn't know what is happening (seems strange as it is a pretty standard set up). It's a works one and he seems to think that there could be a problem with permissions. My techie at work disagrees.

It's a lap top but have swapped ports. Will try the one at the back as opposed to the side.

Is there a 50?
I thought there was... but before I sent my last post, I checked the US website and could only see the Start 45+55
And for completeness, is there/was there a '40' too?
Yes. The 40/45 are 4.3" models, and the 50/55 are equivalent 5" models.

I had originally thought that the 40 and 50 were only sold in Europe, and the 45/55 in North America. All are 2GB units. However, the 40M (lifetime map sub version) has appeared here in WalMart stores, so all bets are off.

tech support says it it my pcs fault but doesn't know what is happening (seems strange as it is a pretty standard set up).
Not saying that it is or isn't, but what you are describing is something I don't think we've seen reported before, and we have a lot of Win7 boxes running MyTomTom. We've seen the odd problem, but never a BSoD problem of the sort you are reporting.

One thing that your tech friend might need to take into account when helping you to troubleshoot this problem is that your START 20 isn't connected to your PC in a very 'normal' way.

Although it appears to be a USB connection physically, and starts as a real USB connection for Windows, a bridge driver turns your USB device into what looks to Windows like a network card. Your START 20 is in fact a little micro server. That adds several new layers of complexity to things that weren't there on the older models.

Has your tech friend taken time to explore the system event logs on your machine for a clue, and has he helped by enabling the full kernel memory dump? Many times, the nature of the problem that is causing your BSoD can be found there in that log with the right tools.

The 40/45 are 4.3" models, and the 50/55 are equivalent 5" models.

Just to confuse us even more!

I thought it would be that the 40 and 50 were the 4.3" ones and the 45 and 55 would be the 5".

That would seem to follow the normal numbering system better. (We have Start 20 (4.3") and Start 25 (5") and Go1000 (4.3.") and Go1005 (5") etc.

Just about the time you think you own the magic decoder ring...

Nope - 40/45 = 4.3", 50/55 = 5.0".

Odd the 40 doesn't even show up on TomTom's site, but appears on the store shelves in WalMart as the 40M. It's the usual new model mess.

Just about the time you think you own the magic decoder ring...

Nope - 40/45 = 4.3", 50/55 = 5.0".

Odd the 40 doesn't even show up on TomTom's site, but appears on the store shelves in WalMart as the 40M. It's the usual new model mess.
This may be a model number unique to Walmart.

For electronics and appliances, it's not unusual for unique model numbers to be assigned to items sold by major discounters such as Walmart, Sears, Costco, etc. This is to make it difficult to price compare with items sold by other stores since it is no longer "The same item". That helps placate the smaller stores while still letting the big boys carry the product.

- Tom -

Ask a Question