TT Safety

TomTom Model(s)
930T and XXL
Most of us zoom by the screen that our tt's display when we first activate it or after an update. Here we are reminded about the safety issues of using gps units while driving. We agree to these issues when we accept for the next screen. Having spent some time dealing with safety concerns I encourage the following issues be addressed when using any unit in a vehicle:
1. Mount the unit where it does not affect your field of vision. Be aware that some states, e.g. California, may have regulations limiting where units can be installed;
2. Mount the unit where you can easily access it but remember that your primary responsibility is to properly contol the vehicle. TT suggest one stop by the roadside before manipulating any menu's or selections. I treat the screen like I would any instrument on the panel; quick glance and back to the road and in heavy traffic no glances, just listen. The remote can help but learn its functions before you drive with it. Safety is placed at greater risk when tt is used to control other functions also because we may be multi tasking several operations at one time.
3. In an accident g force multiplies the weight of an object and TT could become a missile. Be sure it is attached securely and does not interfer with the proper operation of air bags. Too often we overlook these because they are packaged away so compactly. Let one of them be activated with tt in the way and a: the airbag is damaged and unable to do its job or b: tt is shoved into a body part with great force. This also goes for cables that may be attached. Route them carefully.
4. If attaching the unit to the power source understand that tt does NOT use 12 VDC directly from the vehicle power supply. The power adapter that is shipped with the unit is a step down transformer. Know what you are doing or give a pro a few dollars for the job. Something about blowing the circuitry in a new tt seems to ruin the entire day.
I am sure there are more concerns that may be posted.
There is a positive note also. I find that because I have the aid of gps I am a more relaxed driver in new areas and the hesitancy of entering an unknown ramp or avenue is diminshed. Not so much brake action. I just let tt give directions and if I make a mistake it will get me on course shortly.
The administrators and moderators of the forum wish you safe driving and many happy tomtom experiences.

Great advice especially during this long weekend.

My TT is mounted near the speedo (I have long windshield and the speedo is close to the base of the windshield). The good thing is that I can easily see it without moving my eyes too far. The bad thing is that it's a bit of a stretch to reach so it forces me to pull over haha. I can reach it but only when I'm inches away from the steering wheel. (gives you a sense of how far the base of my windshield is and before you ask, no it's not the New Beetle).

I know the feeling. In the camry the unit is mounted to my left and low. I find the remote to just about take care of everything except turning the thing off.

I know the feeling. In the camry the unit is mounted to my left and low. I find the remote to just about take care of everything except turning the thing off.
heh. Oddly enough, it works well on my dad's Camry. Different generation I suppose.

Ask a Question