TT offering up to 30% discounts of maps until July 30, 2008

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I have a Go 920, and according to the banner at the bottom of Home, and the map prices shown in Home, TT is offering up to 30% discounts on maps until July 30, 2008. An across-the-board price drop indicates to me that a significant release is pending (maybe 8.x maps for the x20 series?), and they're trying to sucker people into buying something that will soon be considered obsolete. I have no interest in buying any of these maps, but I'm wondering what this "clearance sale" might indicate for x20 owners waiting/wishing for Advanced Lane Guidance and IQ Routes.

I too was enticed by the sale having the same thoughts as you in regards to the lane guidance and IQ routing.

Yes, I'm a sucker and fell for their evil ploy. We will see how long it will be until 8. maps are available for the 920, probably August 1st.

There was one plus side to upgrading. TT now asks if you want to transfer your custom favorites and POI's to the new map.

I have a Go 920, and according to the banner at the bottom of Home, and the map prices shown in Home, TT is offering up to 30% discounts on maps until July 30, 2008. An across-the-board price drop indicates to me that a significant release is pending (maybe 8.x maps for the x20 series?), and they're trying to sucker people into buying something that will soon be considered obsolete. I have no interest in buying any of these maps, but I'm wondering what this "clearance sale" might indicate for x20 owners waiting/wishing for Advanced Lane Guidance and IQ Routes.

Since maps are upated about every 3 months, the obsolescence is fast! Don't forget TT bought Tele Atlas for a hefty sum (billions of $) and will need cash on top of the other financial deals which is rather scarce these days on top of having made less profits than expected because it had to lower its prices due to heavy competition. Selling maps at a reduced cost is one way to bring needed cash. Next map version will be in August or September since v7.20 came out early May but was expected in June.

Very few people update their maps on a quarterly basis. A few consider updating on a yearly basis and others just upgrade their navigational system to get the latest map , software and hardware and give the older gps to their spouse, parent or child.

Alas, the one map I want to purchase - Australia - is one of only two maps not on sale. :mad:

I also noticed that there don't seem to be any maps of Israel available for purchase. Does anyone know if there are 920 compatible maps available for that region?

Thanks!

TGIF

Spectacular

TomTom actually did me a favor (loaded with sarcasm). I just bought the maps in mid May. They just dropped the price, & voila, they won't refund the difference. "This is a corporate decision sir. There is no guarantee on price for the Online download version of the maps." I told her thanks for helping me make my decision on my next purchase of a GPS. No more TomTom for me, I have had enough crappy support a deception for this century.

I just bought North America on 6/16 and got the same line, sorry we won't help you out on that difference. Funny thing was that the purchase last week was in reply to an email about updating the maps on my 910.

I just bought North America on 6/16 and got the same line, sorry we won't help you out on that difference. Funny thing was that the purchase last week was in reply to an email about updating the maps on my 910.

How do you get the North America map? I have a One V2, but it only shows me USA & Canada or a more localized version. Thought I heard the North America had more POIs and/or more detail.

How do you get the North America map? I have a One V2, but it only shows me USA & Canada or a more localized version. Thought I heard the North America had more POIs and/or more detail.

It was one of the options along with just US, Canada, New England, Mid Atlantic... Again this was for a 910.

matt

Bought Western Europe 6/18... sorry!

Yup,

Bought my XL-S then 2 days later bought the Western Europ map for an upcoming trip at the full price.

Sorry, no help says customer service.

What a way to foster returning customers.

Ask a Question