TT not formatted - red X flashing

This may be old to some of you, but this is the second time I connected TT to my pc to update with the result being disaster.

TT customer service sent me some files to get-er-back up, but when trying to drag&drop files on "removable device" the error is "drive * not formatted, do you want to format it now" and of course I said yes, set to FAT32 and get error "windows cannot format drive *".

Does anyone have to correct procedure and/or flash files to fix? Thanks.

Ken

It also may be possible to try this:

I too had this problem. Lucky for me I had my main computer & a laptop. I kept getting the same message on my laptop. When I tried to format it on my desktop it worked fine. Do you have a second computer?

This may be old to some of you, but this is the second time I connected TT to my pc to update with the result being disaster.

TT customer service sent me some files to get-er-back up, but when trying to drag&drop files on "removable device" the error is "drive * not formatted, do you want to format it now" and of course I said yes, set to FAT32 and get error "windows cannot format drive *".

Does anyone have to correct procedure and/or flash files to fix? Thanks.

Ken
Flashing the drive will not help. The windows OS is not recognizing your device as a formatted device, meaning, your PC will not be able to perform anything with this drive with respect to files. The red x means your application is corrupted or missing. Never format a device without the suggestion of tech support, or you have manually backed up your maps. Try formatting via a command prompt, but make sure you know the drive letter. Formatting the incorrect drive could result in dire results. After the format, run an update to pull in the latest application (ver. 7.162, 7.221 for 720,920,920T or 7.166 if One 3rd).
Always disconnect your tomtom from your PC by selecting Device and Disconnect Device from the TTH Menus. If this does not work, I hope your unit is in warranty. If you provide the serial no. I can tell if it is. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question