TT IQ of 104 !!

Hello, please can someone help me?

I have been given my work colleague's TT XL IQ routes edition to try and resolve an issue which I think may be software related, but it definitely has an IQ higher than my own!

I have tried several things to try and get it to work, but so far, the solution has eluded me.

It has a problem whereby it has reset itself, then does the following:

enter language: english
right or left handed: right
speed in mph or kph: mph
time displayed in which format: 18:00
set the time: done

Then it freezes.

Count 10 seconds or so, then it resets, or even worse, just sits on the TOMTOM logo with the red hands forever.
When it resets, I can go through the menus as above, but when I get to set the clock and hit done, we are back in the same loop.

I have made a backup using explorer BEFORE I have tried anything, but so far nothing I have read on here or elsewhere on the internet has helped me get it to work, or even get it past the set the time screen.

I am hoping some kind soul on here will be able to advise me what to do to try and get the XL back into life, as the unit is 18 months old, and physically, is in good condition.

I have tried a format, NOT a quick one.
I have tried removing all the loose files from the root directory, then run HOME and installed one update: no change.
I have tried removing all the loose files and then connecting to HOME and installing 2 updates that it found, but no change.
I have tried backing up, and then restoring via HOME.
I have tried simply reinstalling the original files in their entirety onto the device after a format, via explorer, but no change.
I have tried running a "clear flash" that I found somewhere, 3 times as was stated in the post, and still no change.
I have been diligent in terms of ensuring the device was properly disconnected before rebooting with the power button, but no change.

What more can I do please?

I am not so computer literate, that it is more than possibly likely I have done something wrong somewhere myself, so even a step by step on how to format, and reinstall would be helpful, but I think I've got it right after spending more than 5 hours last night reading on here and attempting all of the above.
I would very much like to be able to return the unit to my colleague in working order, as it seems like a software fault, rather than hardware, and in theory, those can be fixed by a mere mortal such as myself.

Is there anyone out there that can spot my problem and advise me onto the correct path please?

Many thanks for reading!

David :thumb:

In the US/Can/Mex map folder, you will find a file called mapsettings.cfg. Just for grins, copy that off to your PC, and delete the file from the unit. Then attempt to boot it again using a 'reset' style boot - holding down the power button for 20 seconds or so until you start to hear the drum roll. See if it boots properly then without a reboot.

I am not so computer literate....

Don't kid yourself.....

Yours is one of the best laid out and described set of symptoms I've seen in a long time on a forum. If you can write that clearly about the steps you've taken, I doubt you've made any silly mistakes.

Thank you! It makes replying SO much easier.

That's the good news over.... I've read through your post several times and it looks like you've researched well and already tried all the obvious suggestions apart from Canderson's one. If that doesn't work for you ... so for the moment I'm stumped.

Maybe it's just "broke". ::(

Wow! Thanks for coming back so quickly you two!
This appears to be an excellent forum in that respect.

1 thing I omitted from the OP was that I am in England, and using the English and ROI map set.

I don't know if the folders will contain the same info to delete!

Should I try that on the english version?

I was hoping someone wouldn't tell me I'd tried everything!

But thanks for the input.

If I can't get it to work, it's spares or repair on Ebay.

Anybody want an XL that's borked?

:D

EDIT:
Ok, I found the cfg file in the england and ROI folder, copied it to desktop, then deleted the file, safely removed the device, and rebooted as instructed, and now it's hanging on the TOMTOM logo screen.
People pay money for these things, don't they?
Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't appear to have helped it much. But by now, I am not expecting anything to work!
Where do I go next?
There is a large bin with wheels on it outside my house that looks tempting.....
:thumb:

I'm in England too, and all the advice so far is good for UK models as well.

Let us know how you get on with the MapSettings.cfg fix.

That file is often the cause of endless re-booting when it isn't quite right for a newer software version, so I guess it might cause freezes too.

Also, before you give up on it, don't forget that unlike the US, TomTom *do* accept out of warranty repairs in Europe.

Thanks Andy, that's good to know.

Do you think there is a routine now that I should follow that will sort this issue?

What I mean is, should I format again, then try installing all folders except the loose files, then attach to HOME etc etc, or what?

I also forgot to mention that when I formatted, I selected FAT32, was that the right thing to do?

I could have ruined my efforts from the very beginning.

Thankyou both once again for your prompt and sound advice, it is greatly appreciated.

What I mean is, should I format again, then try installing all folders except the loose files, then attach to HOME etc etc, or what?

I also forgot to mention that when I formatted, I selected FAT32, was that the right thing to do?
Yes, that is the correct format for one of these units. I can't imagine what can be done that you have not already tried. Will continue to scratch head and get back to you if anything else comes to mind.

Since you have formatted and reloaded the firmware in its entirety, and since the unit was hanging trying to deal with a mapsettings.cfg this time, one wonders whether or not the problem lies elsewhere in the map folder (guess that would UK/ROI, now that we know where you are).

Normally, a unit will hang in a different way when it cannot find a valid map. Since you have a copy of the map folder already safely tucked away on the PC, it would be interesting to know what the unit does if it is booted without a map folder. It should boot and complain only about that.

By ANY chance does your friend have a map update subscription for that unit?

I'm assuming he does, but that's if you are referring to the "mapshare" option? He's not available to ask, out of work hours, unfortunately, and I didn't get his HOME login details to look for myself.

I think I turned mapshare off last night in an attempt to see if that helped or hindered. But I tried so much its difficult to remember what state the unit is in now! :sad:

I will try removing the map folder, and get back to you immediately with the results.

I'm sure you are aware, and it probably bears no consequence, but the screen the TOMTOM refuses to move onto, is the voice select screen, do you think there may be an issue with him wanting to hear Jane from the UK? :D

BRB

Thankyou !!

EDIT: Ok I get drums, then a picture of the unit on a blue background, then the yellow bar fills from left to right, then the TOMTOM logo screen, and nothing.

It's still sat here on the logo screen now, mocking me.
Would anyone be able to literally tell me step by step the best method for restoring the device once someone has spent all night messing with it please?

Like, do I format, then add some folders, or all, with all loose root files, or none, then use HOME, or explorer etc.

One more thing: the unit is no longer recognised by explorer as a TOMTOM with a logo, it is now simply a "removable media drive: G"

Can I set this thing up to play movies instead......

Thankyou for your time and patience and help.

David

I've always been partial to Susan from the U.S. <g>

When you wiped the unit of firmware, that should have taken care of the folder that contains voices, and you have a new load of those. Should not present a problem.

And no - I do not mean MapShare - I refer to a subscription whereby your friend would receive regular full updated maps on a quarterly basis.

OK canderson, then I'm afraid I can't answer that question regarding the map updates.

He did mention today that he last plugged it in for an update about 2 months ago, maybe he was referring to something he does regularly, though he doesn't strike me as the type to outlay for an option like that.

Lets assume he does then, anything I can try?

Is there somewhere I can download a new firmware for the device?

I don't mind formatting it again and trying a fresh install of anything that may help.

Once again, your time is appreciated.

David

We need to know if by any chance and for any reason his PC contains a previously downloaded full map. He might have bought a 1-time update, or might have a subscription. If so, I'd like to retrieve that map and use it to replace what was on his unit.

If you are certain that you have a full backup of his existing map, you could remove that from his unit now and see what kind of boot error you get from that.

OK, can't be 100% about his subscription until tomorrow I'm afraid, but I will let you know!

I'm looking at the files I have on the desktop here....

There's a folder called "maps" in the root, with a TLV file type in it.
And a folder named "United Kingdom and ROI" which has OV2, DCT, VER, MET and DAT files in it.

I've removed the folder named "United Kingdom and ROI" from the unit, but not from my backup on the desktop of course, and the unit does not boot.
It just sits there at the logo screen.
I am safely removing it, and rebooting it without the USB connection to get this result.

I've killed the dead thing, haven't I.......
:lol:

Nope. You haven't killed anything (yet!)

If you copy the UK/ROI map folder from the PC to the unit with its original mapsettings.cfg file, you should be right back where we started this conversation. Might be a good idea to verify that, in fact.

Thanks for all your advice canderson.

I've asked him today, and he doesn't have a subscription at all, only uses HOME to mapshare, and download any mapshare updates.
I have decided to start again from scratch, and hopefully, follow your advice, or someone's on here, to eliminate any problems I may have caused, as the unit itself is refusing to go any further than the logo screen recently.

I have performed a slow format this morning, so we have a blank page, so to speak, what should I write next please?

I have a copy of his original data here on the desktop, I can remove the loose files, or leave them in the root directory, or use HOME, or not.

What's next to do?

David

I have performed a slow format this morning, so we have a blank page, so to speak, what should I write next please?
Once a unit is formatted, you need to connect the unit and let Home discover it, and you should be offered an application to replace the one that is missing after the format.

Once that has been accomplished, we'll have to move his UK/ROI map folder back, but don't do that until we see what happens when you boot the unit without a map folder.

Just my two cents worth here (but based on the way the stock market is falling it probably isn't even worth that :Cry:)...

Has he tried plotting a route in Home and then following it to see if that helps?

Aahhh, right, that's interesting, you want me to offer the unit up to HOME without adding anything to it first....

Haven't done that yet, that should yield a different result, shouldn't it.

Let me try, and I'll get back to you.

Thankyou all for your help, useful as ever, and terrific patience in helping your fellow man.

Back with more later.

David

Aahhh, right, that's interesting, you want me to offer the unit up to HOME without adding anything to it first....

Haven't done that yet, that should yield a different result, shouldn't it.
It may, yes. What we want is a fresh copy of the application for the unit, and this should accomplish that. In fact, once you've done this, power the unit down, hook it up, and see if Home offers yet another application update. Rinse and repeat if necessary until no updates to the firmware are offered. Might be done with the first attempt, might not.

Thankyou all for your help, useful as ever, and terrific patience in helping your fellow man.
You're certainly making it easier for us than do many users!

I didn't realise that you could just plug a formatted TT into a pc, and HOME would recognise it, and offer updates. I assumed it would need at least some of the root folders in order to work, but that was where I was going wrong, perhaps.

Anyway, I have plugged it in (not going to see Cowboys and Aliens now, no time - see what kind of a service you guys are running here? that was a close one!) and it offered me an update and several voices, of which I selected the 2 english ones, and unchecked the others. It updated, then restarted the TT, which prompted me to "use the computer" in english, this I did.
It restarted after a while, and then HOME found another update (I had NOT unplugged during the two) and offered me that, I accepted, and updated again. This second app update was some 10 or 11 meg bigger, weighing in at 38.9mb I think.
Following the second update, it requested another restart, and the unit then asked me the same computer yes or no question, but in Russian or Afrikaans or something, regardless, I clicked yes.

Once restarted, HOME checked for any more updates, found none.
I went BACK to the main menu, and all the features were available, such as "use my TT" "manage my TT" etc, this is a good sign, as they have been greyed out before.

I then used the blue button, disconnected the device.
It immediately started to reboot all by itself, even though the USB was still up it's socket, and then it gave me the language select screen.

I unplugged the USB.
Selected a language.
Right handed.
Miles.
18:00.
Set the time.

It froze exactly as before.

:mad:

Do you think that maybe if I format, then attach to HOME, then install the first application HOME offers, then disconnect before I install any more, and try the unit without the second app update, that it may cure it?

I'm wondering if the second app update maybe causing a conflict, though that wouldn't explain why the damn thing crashed in the first place.

Incidentally, I have manually rebooted the unit since, and it just sits on the TT logo screen again now, not even the option to select a language.

We are indeed back where we started, but not getting far enough for the unit to even complain that it doesn't have a map pack yet....

grrrr.....

lol

David.

Ask a Question