TT Home error message solved

This is probably obvious for many of you, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Each time I tried to update my TT via home with mapshare and satellite location data, I would get an error message" Can not update because a file is being used by another program".

To fix the problem, I simply turned off my anti-virus/ internet security program. (The portion that resides in RAM that monitors your system activity in real time)

Hope this helps someone.

Actually, that precise message is new to me. Thanks for the feedback.

Mind you, I'm concerned whenever any AV is turned off when files are downloaded. Sort of defeats the purpose of having AV in the first place.

D.B. - since the problem may be specific to your particular AV program, would you tell us which one that is?

It was Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.

I didn't save the error message, so I can't give the specifics (unless it's saved somewhere in a TT log file)

Various AV programs have interfered with a number of other programs on my computer over the years, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are the cause of some other TT Home issues.

I don't like to turn my AV off either, but I figured I could trust TT's download. And afterward, I turned it right back on.

Funny - all these years and I've never taken time to sniff a Home session - but based upon some comments I've seen here over time, I'm guessing that TT is using some oddball port number for their transfers and sets off the alarm bells on some software.

Funny - all these years and I've never taken time to sniff a Home session - but based upon some comments I've seen here over time, I'm guessing that TT is using some oddball port number for their transfers and sets off the alarm bells on some software.

I've sniffed HOME. It doesn't use any oddball ports. It's either:

1) Kapersky intercepts https and in the process reassigns the certificate (home realizes that it's been compromized and errors)
2) HOME downloads xml with instructions to cab files. Kapersky may block this since it looks a lot like activex, which these days is mostly crapware

I've sniffed HOME. It doesn't use any oddball ports.
Other than 443:rolleyes:?

1) Kapersky intercepts https and in the process reassigns the certificate (home realizes that it's been compromized and errors)
Yes, it does, and yes, it can, but the error we're seeing for that one is the certificate error. See the other Kaspersky thread on the certificates. https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/22816-invalid-security-certificate.html
2) HOME downloads xml with instructions to cab files. Kapersky may block this since it looks a lot like activex, which these days is mostly crapware
That'd be some really lousy parsing, but possible. If true, wouldn't everyone running KIS be seeing the same problem? Unless allowing ActiveX would avoid the problem... ?

I think HOME uses real SSL for some types of downloads. It definitely uses it for credit card transfers. So 443 would be "normal" there.
Seems to use it for just about all data transfers, that's what surprises me. Wouldn't think they'd need it apart from the "Store" stuff. While evidently encrypted, I guess I'm more than OK with having the "anonymous" user stats uploaded to them that way, though. Wonder if that's why they use it across the board? One size fits all?

Ask a Question