TT goofed, We're stuck - NOW what?

It seems incredible to me that the design folks didn't allow extra memory to be addressed as a subfolder in the main directory, instead of extra memory appearing as a blank hard drive and needing the operating system and everything else loaded on to it. But, there it is! If I bought and installed a one Gb SD card, I would gain NOTHING! I could gripe about it, but it wouldn't change anything.

The question now becomes: "What is the best memory upgrade?" Lots of folks seem to be getting by with a 2 Gb SD card; but as I add up all the maps and voices I might want, I can see 2 gigs not being enough. I've been all over the net and found SD cards out the ying-yang, and prices to match. Best I've seen is a FOUR gig card on an "end of month" special. It's listed as: "4GB 150X QMEMORY SD CARD - Features Genuine SAMSUNG Memory", for $29.99!

In my searches, I've encountered a statement NOT to use SDHC cards. The Qmemory website says: " 60x Xpress and 150x Xpress Turbo models - 100% compatibility with SD devices" Which is reassuring. Does anyone know for sure???

Many thanks, and all praise to knowledgeable responder(s).....

Agree with your gripe.....they should have allowed the extra memory to be additive, but it is what it is.

The ONE devices are definitely NOT compatible with SDHC cards, you MUST use pure SD cards.

Always try to get the fastest xfer rate possible to insure you don't get delay in the navigation operation. Transcend 4G SD cards and TopRam SD cards have been confirmed to work.

Currently, 4G is the largest SD card you can purchase.

Some of the devices, (720, 920) do allow the SD cards to be supplemental and you do NOT have to install the application/other to the card. You just mirror the internal's folder structure on the card and place stuff in those appropriate folders.

Some folks use 4gig cards but I don't know if they work in all units or not.

What they can do though is "replace" maps. So for instance, you could have US maps internally and then have a card that has European maps. Card-in: Europe, Card-out: US

64ragtop, I don't think there was any design goof. My guess is that it was designed that way.

You must have a ONE of some kind because, as F22 rightly points out, the 520, 720 and 920 all allow additional memory (without OS) to be used. Whether the one-memory-at-a-time 'feature' of the cheaper models is a limitation caused by cheaper components, or a deliberate decision to 'cripple' the low-end models in that way, I do not know. Personally, I suspect the former.

64ragtop, I don't think there was any design goof. My guess is that it was designed that way.

You must have a ONE of some kind because, as F22 rightly points out, the 520, 720 and 920 all allow additional memory (without OS) to be used. Whether the one-memory-at-a-time 'feature' of the cheaper models is a limitation caused by cheaper components, or a deliberate decision to 'cripple' the low-end models in that way, I do not know. Personally, I suspect the former.

You're right, it is a ONE (XL-S to be complete - as I probably should have been in my initial post). I've adopted a new mantra: "No matter how cynical I get, I just CAN'T KEEP UP!!!. However, if it's a deliberate crippling, it could be in either hardware or firmware, or software, right? Something as simple as a trace on a circuit board, or just one line of code would do it. Which leaves me wondering in someone in the wide world of the web might be working on cracking it.

The ONE XL-S is actually a pretty good first GPS for me, I had used Street Atlas with my laptop on a couple of trips. But I really don't like having to look away from traffic, refocus and readjust the ol' eyes to brightness, etc., etc. while driving. I like the dedicated GPS on the dash much better.

As I look at file sizes and prices of map and voice downloads, I'm pretty sure a four gig SD card will hold whatever I need at one time. I can then move stuff from the computer to the ONE if necessary and it becomes no biggie. But darnit I paid for that one gig built in to the machine and I would like to use it. For that matter, I might have bought a 7 or 900 TT if I had known about this "feature" when I bought it. However, since the "feature" (in micro$oft speak) was left for me to discover for myself, I'm a little ticked at TomTom, Inc. I might even use a crack just for spite, or I might consider another brand for my next GPS. I will certainly be better informed when I make my next GPS purchase, thanks to this board!

Last edited:
As I look at file sizes and prices of map and voice downloads, I'm pretty sure a four gig SD card will hold whatever I need at one time. I can then move stuff from the computer to the ONE if necessary and it becomes no biggie. But darnit I paid for that one gig built in to the machine and I would like to use it. For that matter, I might have bought a 7 or 900 TT if I had known about this "feature" when I bought it. However, since the "feature" (in micro$oft speak) was left for me to discover for myself, I'm a little ticked at TomTom, Inc. I might even use a crack just for spite, or I might consider another brand for my next GPS. I will certainly be better informed when I make my next GPS purchase, thanks to this board!

Not to be argumentative here, but did you do any research on the product or did you just buy? I simply ask because I did absolutely no research and just bought (2 units in fact) blindly. I am quite pleased with my choice (Go 720), however, if that were not the case the only person I would have to blame would be me for not bothering to research.

If you did do some research, how much? How long did you shop around? Did you read web reviews and so on?

Not to be argumentative here, but did you do any research on the product or did you just buy? I simply ask because I did absolutely no research and just bought (2 units in fact) blindly. I am quite pleased with my choice (Go 720), however, if that were not the case the only person I would have to blame would be me for not bothering to research.

If you did do some research, how much? How long did you shop around? Did you read web reviews and so on?

Your point is quite valid. I surely could have done more research, but truly thought I had done enough. I was in a bit of a hurry due to poor preparation for a trip to the left coast. I'm glad you're happy with your 720s. I didn't think I needed all of the 700 or 900 series' features. Apparently the memory issue that really chapped me is a ONE series issue, but no reviews I found (and I looked at several review sites and customer reviews on merchants' sites) mentioned that "feature".

I've found an active group here, and by the time I'm done with my orientation and familiarization with what I have, my next GPS purchase will be much better informed!

I don't suppose ya meant to rub my guilt and dismay in either! I'm quite capable of beating up on myself, thank you very much!:rolleyes:

I too, did a lot of investigation (although I didn't find this site until AFTER I bought mine - the site doesn't come up when you search for "XXXXX Review") and no where did I see that it was an either/or situation between the SD and internal memory.
However, unlike ragtop, I'm not upset about it. I realize that the price was kept low and the minimum was provided to give the GPS the ability to do the job it is supposed to do. *shrug*

I too, did a lot of investigation (although I didn't find this site until AFTER I bought mine - the site doesn't come up when you search for "XXXXX Review") and no where did I see that it was an either/or situation between the SD and internal memory.
However, unlike ragtop, I'm not upset about it. I realize that the price was kept low and the minimum was provided to give the GPS the ability to do the job it is supposed to do. *shrug*

Thanks, Shadow, the upset is fading a bit. I bought the ONE XL-S for its' price.

I just feel kinda blindsided that I have to buy and install more memory to do the job I expected it to do. Never thought the size of the supplied memory and the sizes of the files one might want to use in the unit would be an issue.

In spite of my cynicism, I keep defaulting to the optimistic side of my personality. That "buyer beware" thing seems to be a lot more important than in years gone by. Just another sign that us geezers truly did grow up in a different time (if not on a different PLANET) :eek:

I don't suppose ya meant to rub my guilt and dismay in either! I'm quite capable of beating up on myself, thank you very much!:rolleyes:

Actually, that was not my intent, my apologies if it came across that way. To be honest my research was the sum total of 15 minutes of looking at the units on display at my local Best Buy and then buying the only one that had a display unit that actually worked properly. I have zero room to push any guilt at anyone on this front.

It is hard. There are now so many units, including a wide variety from EACH separate manufacturer that it really is hard to find out the quirks and differences even reading reviews.

I tried a Magellan 4250 and while I liked some of its features I heard about Magellan's support and I really wanted an option for European maps and Magellan did not offer that. TT had a lot of features for what appeared to be a reasonable cost (with instant Costco discount) but I am a bit disappointed in TT's POI files. I am not sure why I opted out of Garmin since I have a hiking unit and really like it - too many choices and I could not really figure out how to compare them and they changed their map policies.

Actually, that was not my intent, my apologies if it came across that way. To be honest my research was the sum total of 15 minutes of looking at the units on display at my local Best Buy and then buying the only one that had a display unit that actually worked properly. I have zero room to push any guilt at anyone on this front.

NO, NO, baggss, not at all! I read my post before I uploaded it to the forum, and added the smilies. I hoped that would indicate that it was all in good fun, and that I am learning this stuff as I go. It seems that there are a bunch of us in that category. Not to say that I cannot be "guilt-tripped" by someone else (though my armor is pretty tough). I only meant to say that I can, and DO, do it to myself pretty well. All the best!

I also have the XL-S and spent well over 40 hours of Internet search on GPS devices, reviews etc. My friend has a Garmin Nuvi 350 and was impressed by the POIs and its sensitivity (got satellite reception inside his home). When reading reviews on Amazon etc. no one mentioned the memory size aspect nor the few reviews I've read. I rejected the higher end models because I have no cell phone nor do I plan to get one soon and online traffic services are non-existant in Montreal. Why spend more on features I won't use. It has a large screen and text-to-speech which I considered important. I also read a comparison between Navtek and Tele-Atlas in the USA with an 8% edge to Tele-Atlas when searching addresses. Nowhere did I see mention of different map sizes in models or size of POI. Come to think of it I assumed I could add them from POI sites which is partly true.

At the moment, with little experience, I'm a bit disappointed with the routing. In short travels in my city, the highway I use most has missing entrance ramps and has me make detours of 2 or more miles to access this highway (Metropolitain Boulevard also known as Highway 40) or has me on the service road with traffic lights to go to the next entrance ramp passing just beside an existing one that has been there for over 40 years (HW40EB -73.63008, 45.55032). To get to the restaurant where my friend (owner of the Nuvi) was celebrating his wife's birthday, Chez Lien, 2000 Victoria ave, Greenfield Park, QC and the address does not exist in TT but there on Google... A very small sampling but that affects my perception. I've made a contact list of everyone I know and have the coordinates for each contact stored in an ov2 file so I won't have to use addresses that much.

I've ordered a TopRam SDHC card of 4GB 150x from California which I've yet to receive. Ordered on the 21 but shipped the 26th.

Last edited:
To get to the restaurant where my friend (owner of the Nuvi) was celebrating his wife's birthday, Chez Lien, 2000 Victoria ave, Greenfield Park, QC and the address does not exist in TT but there on Google...

Gilbert, out of curiousity, did you search for the address in Greenfield Park or in Montreal? The reason I ask is that there is a weakness in the maps such that some locations in what a user knows as one location are placed in another.

For example, here in Toronto, all the boroughs amalgamated some years ago so technically, there is only 'Toronto'. However, for certain streets, you have to look for the city of 'North York', where the street resided prior to North York's becoming 'Toronto' seven or so years ago.

So.....yeah, some streets are going to get missed if the user doesn't know to look for the location in a city other than the proper one.

Gilbert, out of curiousity, did you search for the address in Greenfield Park or in Montreal? The reason I ask is that there is a weakness in the maps such that some locations in what a user knows as one location are placed in another.

For example, here in Toronto, all the boroughs amalgamated some years ago so technically, there is only 'Toronto'. However, for certain streets, you have to look for the city of 'North York', where the street resided prior to North York's becoming 'Toronto' seven or so years ago.

So.....yeah, some streets are going to get missed if the user doesn't know to look for the location in a city other than the proper one.

I went with the city Greenfield Park (which is not on Montreal island but South shore) then Victoria ave. then the address of 2000. Said address does not exist. A quick google maps search for "restaurant chez lien, greenfield park, qc" confirmed the address and location as I was home when preparing my route.

I don't think that an SDHC works in the XLS

Some said recent devices would accept it. Then I also noticed that when I look at my TT internal memory connected to the USB has it as formatted as FAT32 which I assume to indicate as compatible to SDHC since FAT16 has a max partition size of 2GB. I don't know yet for sure as the SDHC card has not yet arrived. I checked with Wikipedia on SD & SDHC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card as well as another site that gave some info on the speed and formatting and reading some mfgrs sites on SDHC and concluded I would take a chance with that purchase. Some mentioned the XL-S would recognise it but could have problems when connected with TT Home. This particular TopRam (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130191033541) comes with a USB adapter that should allow me to transfer files without needing to have the TT device connected. Although the eBay seller (kofkl of etechisland) has a pretty good feedback of 99,6% positive, he took 5 days after having receiving PayPal payment to ship it, on the 26th. On the positive side, no one has that kind of speedy memory for close to that price in Montreal.

Some said recent devices would accept it. Then I also noticed that when I look at my TT internal memory connected to the USB has it as formatted as FAT32 which I assume to indicate as compatible to SDHC since FAT16 has a max partition size of 2GB. I don't know yet for sure as the SDHC card has not yet arrived. I checked with Wikipedia on SD & SDHC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card as well as another site that gave some info on the speed and formatting and reading some mfgrs sites on SDHC and concluded I would take a chance with that purchase. Some mentioned the XL-S would recognise it but could have problems when connected with TT Home. This particular TopRam (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130191033541) comes with a USB adapter that should allow me to transfer files without needing to have the TT device connected. Although the eBay seller (kofkl of etechisland) has a pretty good feedback of 99,6% positive, he took 5 days after having receiving PayPal payment to ship it, on the 26th. On the positive side, no one has that kind of speedy memory for close to that price in Montreal.

There is an official page here which gives details on what memeory cards are compatible with each device. Only the GO 920,720,520 are listed as supporting SDHC.

Don't forget to give us an update when you recieve the card. I'm quite curious as to whether this will actually work or not.

Received it this p.m. and glad to report it works fine. My first test was to update internal memory with the latest from Home. Then backed up internal memory. Then copied everything from backup to the new card with the USB adapter it came with. Then inserted the SD card to the XL-S and everything was working properly.

It came preformatted FAT32. No device label on it and have yet to name it. When I connected to Home, it requested to download additional files and ended up that the internal memory is not seen anymore. I don't really mind as the internal memory will be a good backup if anything happens with the card...

I intend to do a few benchmarks to see how it compares to the internal memory but so far the bootup and routing seem faster. I also used the large NA maps POI.DAT to make sure it would recognize the memory in excess of 2GB and it was fine. I now know the Garmin Nuvi 350 has a better approach to POIs. On that Nuvi one has restaurant categories. Without having played too much with it it resembles more of a database than a simple listing. One can choose Vietnamese, fast food or whatever restaurant category than simply restaurants located in a specific area.

Ask a Question