TT Go 730 will not maintain pair with iPhone 3G

Originally posted in error on the iPhone TT forum - posted again here

Tom Tom support has not been able to fix my problem (as follows):
1. Pair TT with iPhone (no problems experienced)
2. Connects automatically whenever TT and iPhone are switched on.
3. Problem arises if you use the navigation to go to an address
4. Set destination address
5. Connection between TT and iPhone works fine until TT and/or phone is switched off.
6. Next time TT and iPhone used, connection does not work.
7. Solution is to do the following:
(a) forget (delete) TT device on iPhone
(b) remove iPhone on TT
(c) switch off TT
(d) re-set TT using fine, blunt object
(e) re-pair TT and iPhone in usual way
(f) works fine until you set an address for navigation
Tom Tom support suggested that the TT should not only be re-set (as above) but that the 'flash reset' software tool be downloaded and used. Their instructions to me also included physical deletion of all files on the TT that are in the root directory of the TT (but not the various folders/directories. I did all of this but the problem persists. As it is, the TT is a good hands free phone, a good navigation tool, but NOT both
Any clues?

Originally posted in error on the iPhone TT forum - posted again here

Tom Tom support has not been able to fix my problem (as follows):
1. Pair TT with iPhone (no problems experienced)
2. Connects automatically whenever TT and iPhone are switched on.
3. Problem arises if you use the navigation to go to an address
4. Set destination address
5. Connection between TT and iPhone works fine until TT and/or phone is switched off.
6. Next time TT and iPhone used, connection does not work.
7. Solution is to do the following:
(a) forget (delete) TT device on iPhone
(b) remove iPhone on TT
(c) switch off TT
(d) re-set TT using fine, blunt object
(e) re-pair TT and iPhone in usual way
(f) works fine until you set an address for navigation
Tom Tom support suggested that the TT should not only be re-set (as above) but that the 'flash reset' software tool be downloaded and used. Their instructions to me also included physical deletion of all files on the TT that are in the root directory of the TT (but not the various folders/directories. I did all of this but the problem persists. As it is, the TT is a good hands free phone, a good navigation tool, but NOT both
Any clues?

The iphone must not have full compatibility with the Tomtom. The bluetooth doesn't seem to do that with other brand phones. There was some weird incompatibility with the Nokia E71, but an E71 firmware update fixed that. All I can recommend is to wait for an iPhone firmware update and see if anything changes.

As far as setting a direction, the one thing the Tomtom tries to do upon setting a destination is connect to bluetooth for traffic. Try disabling wireless data on the Tomtom (I don't think iPhone supports Bluetooth DUN data anyways), and maybe the problem won't happen.

iPhone do not have the DUN profile available so none of the data based services on the TomTom will work, I only got handsfree calling working with mine for a while and gave up with it in the end, I now have a dedicated handsfree kit in the car - Mike

That’s the main reason I got the 740.. It uses a SIM card for LIVE services. I found out after I originally purchased the 730 the IPHONE does not allow data connections, as you indicated. I have, however noticed twice my 740 did not establish a Bluetooth connection after shut off on a stop during a days drive. (I use auto power off). I shut it off, waited a few min, and it reconnected after a restart.. odd.. Overall, I have great performance and very happy with the 740 taking calls.

Problem solved - many thanks

"Try disabling wireless data on the Tomtom (I don't think iPhone supports Bluetooth DUN data anyways), and maybe the problem won't happen."

I have tried this, and it seems to have worked - no problems at all since disabling wireless data

Cheers

Hey,

I was having the same problem with my 730 not connecting with my iphone 4 for hands free. After reading the above posts, I checked the settings on the 730. In my case wireless data was already disabled. I enabled it and it pared right away with the phone. Before I was getting an error that the phone did not have the required features. I know that there isn't an option to connect for DUN, but even when I had my Blackberry and could, I didn't find I used it that much.

Just thought I'd toss my experience in.

Joe

Ask a Question