TT 920 vs Navigon 7100 - NYC Style.

Well I just got back from a simple drive from Brooklyn to my office in Manhattan. Both were mounted to the windsheild, I dont know why I didnt take pictures....
Anywho, for starters I would like to say this

1. The touchscreen on the 7100 with my big old fingers was very hard to use. TomTom's screen was a blessing!
2. TTS on the 7100 was far superior to that of the TT920
a. The TT actually tried to pronounce "Franklin Deleno Roosevelt Drive" (FDR Drive) Talk about choking, I guess for a computer it wasn't half bad. The voice just seems like its in a hurry to finish talking. When getting onto the FDR is actually pronounced it "F-D-R" (slightly underwater sounding)
b. The 7100 just said FDR Drive clear as day
c. The TomTom said fourty-two street instead on fourty-second street
d. Very strange thing happened on the TT. The map had me turning onto 39th St, however the voice told me to turn on 49th St. Very bizarre.
e. The Navigon pronounced it Brooklyn "Branch" as well instead of Bridge.
3. Routing and GPS Tracking
a. The second I got a GPS lock on the Navigon, it wanted me to make U-turn on a one way street.
b. I got off the wrong exit purposely on the FDR drive which runs parallel (and slightly under the drive I might add)
I. The Navigon showed me still on the FDR even thought I went off the ramp.
II. The TT picked up immediately that I took the exit off the highway.
c. For some reason the TT had me pointing North on 39th st which runs east -> west. North is not an option. (note: I was in stop and go traffic.)
d. Both the Navigon and the TT had me get off the right exit on the Brooklyn Bridge, however the TT called the exit the Miggdah exit which is not the name of the Exit it all, whereas the Navigon had the correct signage for the Exit and proper exit name. ( I presume this will be fixed on TT x30 series with their Active Lane Guidance)

Other notables...
-The Navi has a beautiful screen, but the tough touchscreen was a deal breaker Sad
-Zagat POIs are fantastic especially in NYC (where you don't really need them since you hardly drive anywhere)
-Windshield mount was easy to mount and pretty sturdy. It did bounce slightly since the unit is extended so far from the windshield.
-Loved the instant traffic alerts on the Navigon w/o the antenna installed. It just picked it up and showed me where the traffic was!

Navigon is boxed back up and ready to go back to the store in the AM. I would have played with it a lot more, but the touch screen + my big fingers = fustration!!!

Ask a Question