TT 910 Sunshield

I seems that a lot of us in the US are looking for a reasonable way to get a decent sunshield for our TT. I have been looking at the posts and have found the ideas that other members have posted both interesting and inspiring. I did not like the idea of putting velcro on my TT to hold some of the made or aftermarket shields. I searched the internet and found a shield being sold from the UK from Drumma and it was going to cost about 38$ US so I decided to see what materials I could come up with to design something similar. I found a very interesting material in the childs isle at the craft shop, its called Model Magic by Crayola. The package was only $3.99 and I had a 40% off coupon. Cheap enough for the material cost and it is very flexible and when it dries (about 24 hours), it keeps it shape and still stays a little foamy).

I purchased a package of black. I then took it home and used a rolling pin and rolled it out so I could cut a rectangle about 12" X 6". I then took my TT and started molding the Model Magic around it based on the pictures from the Drumma website. Once it started to dry some and keep it's shape, I cut the holes for the power switch, light sensor and GPS (although the first attempt I did not cut that hole and it did not seem to matter, I still got my signal). You do have to work with it some to maintain the shape you want until it starts to dry and holds it shape on its own, but I have found it very functional, no sticky velcro mess and it justs pops on and off when I need it and fits in the glovebox when I don't. I have attached a couple of pictures of the finished product. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to explain as much as possible.

Attachments

• Picture 013A.jpg
    Picture 013A.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,093
  • Picture 015A.jpg
    Picture 015A.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 867
  • Picture 016A.jpg
    Picture 016A.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 754
  • Picture 017A.jpg
    Picture 017A.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
that is so cool. I would probably end up buying it from the company since I am terrible at making things lol.

that is so cool. I would probably end up buying it from the company since I am terrible at making things lol.

It's really not that hard, the material is very easy to work with, just takes a little patience. I will see how this holds up before I spend too much on one from the UK.

BigTam why so big? Just to keep it stable?

It's actually not that big, it does wrap around the entire TT. I modeled it after one that I found on line in the UK and the Drumma.com website. It works very well. I have gotten to really test it out this week as we have been at the beach this week in lots of sunshine.

I like what you have done...i have been looking for something similar that i can use to also mount my 920 on the dash. I like to keep the tomtom in sight and most mounts place it too low. thanks for sharing!

Sure

I like what you have done...i have been looking for something similar that i can use to also mount my 920 on the dash. I like to keep the tomtom in sight and most mounts place it too low. thanks for sharing!

No problem, like to share what I have done, it may help someone else. I got a few ideas from here and used some of my own. I case you didnt see the picture of my 920 acutally mounted in the car I have inserted the link to that post. I will be happy to share any information if you need it.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=1976

It has worked great

It's really not that hard, the material is very easy to work with, just takes a little patience. I will see how this holds up before I spend too much on one from the UK.

I have used this home made shield all summer, even spent a week at the beach and it has held up great! If you have the time and the patience, it beats spending a bunch of money for a product from overseas, or one that you have to use velcro on. It is very functional and even held up in the summer heat.

I have not had a problem in either my personal truck or my work truck but the motorcycle is a different story. I found that using the night colors at maximum birghtness does a reasonable job.

I have the One XL and see they also have a clip on shield for this model, $14.95, that's not to bad, put it on my wish list and will see.....Thanks

Great ideas. The glare sometimes is very harsh at times. I tried something that some of you might like but I have no pics to share. I bought a sheet of wonder foam at walmart in the craft section. It is the size of a sheet of paper and comes in several colors and cost about fifty cents. I cut the sheet to make a glare shield and attached it directly to the TT 910 as it comes with its own sticky surface. I wrapped the top of the tt and down both sides just to give it more surface to stick. I trimmed it back on the sides and it works fine. There is enough for two or three from each sheet. It can be removed with little or no residue. BTW you can use the pics of the commercially produced models to get an idea for the shape.

Ask a Question