TT 910 seems to have died

After sitting in the charger for about 3 days, I went to open my 910 and got a surprise. I saw a screen but it was so dim as to be hardly readable. I connected it the computer and then opened TT Home 2.2.28 nd was asked if I wanted to download an upgrade. When selecting "Connect To Computer" nothing happened. It now continues to swith between two screens 1) This unit belongs to .... and b) Connect to Computer, Yes or No.

Itried to reset but nothing happened. I am concerned that my TomTom died:eek: My question is should I send it back to TomTom for repair or should I buy a new one? I am leery about sending it to TomTom as I have had little confidence in their support process.

Anybody have any suggestions. Thanks for any ideas

It does seem as if the unit may be on the fritz. I don't understand your reluctance in getting it repaired, especially if it is under warranty. Most 910's came with a 2-year warranty.

i understand your apprehension

After a month of going back and forth with tomtom's poor support, I finally formatted my 910 and reinstalled from a previous backup. So far it seems to have helped. Mine was booting up and shutting down. When I plugged it into USB, HOME would start then crash, no matter what computer I did this with. The only problem I'm having right now is my computer voices didn't install as well as some that I bought. The 910 says to install from CD, HOME says install from there, but I haven't been able to get them back.

Wrong!

It does seem as if the unit may be on the fritz. I don't understand your reluctance in getting it repaired, especially if it is under warranty. Most 910's came with a 2-year warranty.

:eek: It is obvious that you have never had to contact TomTom's technical support or you would know what you are talking about. TomTom's support level is one of the worst that I have ever had from any company. BTW, if you're the owner of the 720, why are you responding to post regarding the 910 model? I have noticed that you respond to a lot of the 910 issues/questions. If you don't actually own the 910 and if you don't actually use the 910, do the rest of us a favor and not give any input on subjects that you have little or no experience. Thanks for your understanding and have a nice day. :mad:

First, I HAVE had experience with Support, some good, some not so much.

Next, I was not aware somebody made YOU the admin of this Board who decides who is a SuperModerator or Moderator and about what models and issues the SuperMods or Mods can and cannot offer advice and opinions on.

In other words, I don't take my marching orders from you.

First, I HAVE had experience with Support, some good, some not so much.

Next, I was not aware somebody made YOU the admin of this Board who decides who is a SuperModerator or Moderator and about what models and issues the SuperMods or Mods can and cannot offer advice and opinions on.

In other words, I don't take my marching orders from you.

I (AND MANY MORE MEMBERS WHO HAVE BEEN USING THIS FORUM FOR MORE THEN A WHOLE WEEK) SECOND DHN'S RESPONSE ABOVE. IF YOU WANT A PLACE TO FLAME PEOPLE - TRY THE UK FORUM - THEY WILL TEAR YOU TO PIECES.

As a 910 user for 2 years, dhns' suggestion to see if it is still under the two year warranty and if so - to use it is a good initial recommendation. I had TomTom replace my original unit that crashed my computer on a regular basis with a refurb that was in like-new condition and I never had any problems with it after that.

Granted - the email support is the worst I have encountered, but the call-in support can be good (it depends on who you get at the time), but in no case will an a__hole get very far with a live support person.

To TDaMoose - it sounds a lot like your extended charge put a probably old battery over the edge. In any case, they not longer service 910's at all. If you are lucky enough to be under the two year warranty, you would get a new or like new refurbished 920.

I would think of giving a new battery a shot. They are readily available from vendors, and I think there may be a guide for 910's (or 510's - same structure) in the forum.

Don't give up on it right yet - it was a much better made unit then the newer ones, plus it had twice the battery capacity.

Ask a Question