TT 910 Need Help/Suggestions

Hey guys, due to recent event I bought myself a new tom tom 910. I have checked everything and it seems okay. I installed the TTHome and am having a bit of trouble having my Mac recognize the USB to the TT910. Is there any suggestions or tricks to have it recognize my tomtom? I used the directions by putting in the usb which is connected to the dock and then placing my tomtom on the dock and turning it on.

It does prompt me to connect to my computer and then it shows my tomtom with a big X flashing and then it just does nothing.

So suggestions :)

Thank you!

The same thing is happening to me. Mac OS, TomTom Home. The 910 seems to think it's connected via USB, since the first time it asked me "Do you want to connect to the computer?" I checked yes, then it showed do not disconnect for a bit, then nothing (no do not disconnect).

I did download the version of TomTom HOME from the Web site. I even reinstalled it to make sure.

Tried all the cables and attaching and reattaching the 910. I tried opening HOME first, then hooking up the 910; and vice versa. Tried restarting the computer, tried turning the 910 off and taking it off the cradle and back on.

When I check My Device in TomTom HOME, it says "No compatible TomTom device is hooked up to this computer."

Any ideas what to try next?

Think I found out the answer myself, though it's not a good one. I called TomTom USA support, and they said that the latest version of Mac OS, 10.4.9, is incompatible with TomTom HOME. Something about the OS changed and it was compatible until that recent release.

At first the woman told me that I should call Apple or use a friend's PC (gee, no thanks). But then she checked and said that the engineers at TomTom are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. She said there was no ETA on when the fix would be; she said that sort of thing takes a long time.

Sigh. Not an auspicious beginning.

In the meantime, some very smart folks in this thread have found a workaround solution. If you connect your TomTom via an older USB port, such as the kind found on an older keyboard, it works! Worked for me... crazy.

She said they will use the newsletter to notify users of the patch... I wonder, though, since they haven't really made anyone aware of this Mac issue.

Last edited:
Hey guys, due to recent event I bought myself a new tom tom 910. I have checked everything and it seems okay. I installed the TTHome and am having a bit of trouble having my Mac recognize the USB to the TT910. Is there any suggestions or tricks to have it recognize my tomtom? I used the directions by putting in the usb which is connected to the dock and then placing my tomtom on the dock and turning it on.

It does prompt me to connect to my computer and then it shows my tomtom with a big X flashing and then it just does nothing.

So suggestions :)

Thank you!

I have exactly the same problem. Cant find any solutions on line with TomTom tech support being completely clueless. Anyone?

As for recognizing the unit in the Mac, someone pointed out that connected the unit to their keyboard USB works best.

Had the same problems with connecting the 910 via USB. Found that pressing the reset switch at the back of the 910 unit seems to do the trick!!!

Ask a Question