TT 730 Recognition Problem

TomTom Model(s)
730 + 510
Last week during hot weather TomTom 730 operation failed and would not come on even after resets.

Bought a Sandisk 8gB SDHC card and formatted this to Fat32.

When connected to USB the TT730 is not recognised by the W7 pc.

Looking in Device Manager shows two TomTom Devices but neither appeared to have any data in when "populated".

Copied Full "internal" disk folder onto the new SDHC card, from the backup, hoping that it would now be recognised.No Joy.

Looking in Explorer there is a J Drive which is the new SDHC card, but no other card to represent the internal memory.

Suspect internal memory is shot - or accidently formatted.

TomTom starts to boot - gets past TomTom window - then reaches screen with image of tom tom , TomTom Go 730 written at the top.

Won't get past this.

Cannot restore to the internal memory as it is not seen. Cannot restore to SDHC card as cannot see how to connect.

Any help?

Last edited:
Further to my last post...!

Further to my earlier post, I have now gone through the process of Removing both TomTom entries from Device Manager, then disconnecting and resetting the TT730 for 30 seconds, then rebooting.

This means I have some progress. i.e. the TT730 is now recognised, connects to TomTom Home and powers up when not connected presumably running off the new SDHC card.

So far so good.

Now I need to work out how to get my TT730 internal memory back up and working.

It is showing in device manager - but will only populate as 0Mbytes.

There is no entry in Windows Explorer or in Disk manager.

As far as the pc is concerned the internal memory does not exist.

If I could get at it to do a format I think it would be retrievable - but without being able to link to it how can I reformat it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you have a full backup of the device on the computer taken with TomTom Home or preferably Windows Explorer, if so install that straight to the memory card using a card reader,, pop the card in to the TomTom and see if it will work, if it fails to read the card the application software will need updating which is easy to do but one step at a time - Mike

Do you have a full backup of the device on the computer taken with TomTom Home or preferably Windows Explorer, if so install that straight to the memory card using a card reader,, pop the card in to the TomTom and see if it will work, if it fails to read the card the application software will need updating which is easy to do but one step at a time - Mike

Hi Mike!
Yes, I have done this and it works.

TomTom ok on the new card.

Cannot even see the internal memory though. That's the only problem now!
I'm hoping to get the internal memory back bu cannot find a way even to get it recognised.

Using SDHC card instead of internal appears to be significantly slower but am checking that.

Thanks for your input.

To speed the unit up make sure the SDHC card is Class 6 (there should be a small circle on it with a number within it on the face of the card). I wouldn't beat yourself up too much trying to get the internal memory working to be honest they do fail from time to time.

At least the device is working again albeit from a memory card - Mike

Cannot even see the internal memory though. That's the only problem now!
I'm hoping to get the internal memory back bu cannot find a way even to get it recognised.

Don't waste your time... once it's dead, it's dead.
But that shouldn't be a problem. I've been running a Go720 entirely from the SD card for years now after the internal memory died (and don't forget, early TomTom's didn't have internal memory at all!)

Using SDHC card instead of internal appears to be significantly slower but am checking that.

Normally we find that a decent quality Class 6 speed rated SDHC card is slightly FASTER than the internal memory, so something's not quite right.

Now it is working, and assuming you HAVE got a good fast card, make a new full backup with Windows Explorer, then try deleting all the files on the card that are NOT in folders (leaving the folders alone) and connect to Home to download a fresh copy of the software.

Last edited:

Ask a Question