TT 720 and Blue tooth headset

TomTom Model(s)
Hello,
I want to use my 720 with a blue tooth headset receiver. I am not looking for any type of phone connection, but just want to hear the turn by turn directions over an ear mounted headset receiver. Is this possible? What brands and models work best if it is indeed possible?
Thanks,
John

I don't think anything in the TomTom line (the new Rider might be the exception) has that functionality.

Hello,
I want to use my 720 with a blue tooth headset receiver. I am not looking for any type of phone connection, but just want to hear the turn by turn directions over an ear mounted headset receiver. Is this possible? What brands and models work best if it is indeed possible?
Thanks,
John
It's not "ear mounted" but I successfully paired the Motorolal HT820 Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones with the TomTom Go 730. It's perfect for mp3 playback. I only tried it once for directions. There was some hesitation. Maybe it doesn't work the best when mp3 and directions are set to bluetooth. I'm not sure. I should try it again. For mp3 it's certainly flawless. I would expect good results for directions as well.

The HT820 can also pair with a bluetooth capable phone for hands free stereo conversation as well. In fact, if you paired your phone with the HT820, the phone may bump your connection with the TT. The other day I was listening to music and my wife placed a call with her cell. I started to hear her call. Of course she couldn't. I needed to turn her bluetooth radio off.

It may work with music, but the option for nav instructions via bluetooth doesn't exist in any of the TT's (again, other than possibly the Rider) AFAIK

I mostly use the Jabra BT8040 headset. Single ear use but streams stereo down mixed to mono. It works very well. I also have the Motorola HT820 headset that streams the mp3s in full stereo very well. I am wanted to give the new Motorola S9 HD stereo headset a try because their less bulkier than the HT820 headset.

It may work with music, but the option for nav instructions via bluetooth doesn't exist in any of the TT's (again, other than possibly the Rider) AFAIK
It absolutely does on the TT Go 730. Just to make sure I opened to the speaker preferences page:

"Play instructions using this speaker:
Internal Speaker
Bluetooth Hi-Fi device
Line-out (audio cable)"

Well then I stand corrected. Thanks! I couldn't get my 930 to actually succeed with that when I first tried last fall, so perhaps it's been enabled at some point or I was in one of my "dumber" modes. So you've actually heard the nav instructions clearly over a bluetooth headset?

gatorguy, like I said in my first post, I have to test it out more. I went for 4 block test run the first day we got the TT and I tried it for kicks. It worked but at one point it seemed "confused". I was speculating perhaps it was because music was set to be played via bluetooth speaker as well. I don't know. I wasn't planning on riding around with the headphones long term so I haven't done it again. Now I want to test it again.:)

The bluetooth headphone device I have does buffer the sound (in HQ stereo mode) from time to time (depending on interference or signal strength); so while using them paired to the computer, sound effects like the "can't do that" beep are often out of sync. Worse case, I'll hear the sound 10 seconds after the event that should have triggered it. I wonder if this is what you experienced?

(Of course, I'll have to try it out on my next drive)

I'm also curious to know if the TT will pair and communicate with both the BT phone and Headset at the same time (effectively).

I think the TT can pair with one BT device at a time. I stand to be corrected, though.

I tried it on my drive home today... paired successfully with a Plantronics BT Stereo Headset (hi-fi device) and a Motorola phone. However, I can confirm the comment made earlier... the TT will disconnect the headset to answer (or call out on) the phone. It did successfully reconnect with the headset after the call ended (music resumed play at that time).

Over all, I'm impressed; the TT GO 720 has worked very well and even exceeded my expectations to date. Application Version is shown as 8.302

Yes, it worked as you'd expect. :)

When I powered the TT on, it auto-connected to the phone (as always), then I went to speaker preferences and selected Bluetooth Hi-fi Device. I was asked to turn the Hi-fi device on (and put it in discover mode); it found the device and connected (I received the "connected" tone thru the ear buds).

Upon entering the route, I immediately heard the instruction (turn left, then turn right) thru the ear buds (the integrated speaker was silent). Upon starting the jukebox, I heard the music thru the ear buds; tapping the "next instruction" rectangle on the status bar, it muted (or is it paused?) the music to play the instruction.

Further, I then tapped the screen, then "mobile phone", then "call", typed 555-1212, then "ok"; music was paused, the BT Hi-fi device made the "disconnected" tone, the integrated speaker took over and I heard information say "What city, please?" When I hung up, the music started playing thru the integrated speaker on the TT, then the BT Hi-fi device made the "connected" tone, music switched from the integrated speaker back to the ear buds and instructions (turn left, then turn right) soon followed.

The rest of the trip went smooth, music played without stutter or skip (which sometimes happens when I get too far from the BT "transmitter" at work) and the sound quality remained high.

(hope that was not TMI)

I have also been able to pair my 720 with my HT820. The only reason the HT820 works is because it is a stereo headset (Using the A2DP profile)

The TomTom non-Rider versions only support the A2DP profile (Stereo, Hi-Fi, whatever you want to call it)

A standard mono bluetooth headset won't work, unfortunately.

Pair a TT 730 w/bluetooth earbuds?

OK, I admit it - I want to avoid buying another GPS for motorcycle use. I foolishly bought a Blue Ant device thinking it would pair with the TT730 like my Moto stereo hi fi headphones did, but no luck. I read on this site that there was a "fix" for the TT720 which allowed it to pair wiht a mono BT device, but that fix did not work withmy 730.

Has anyone found a BT earbud that worked wtht a 730 (so I could wear under a helmet), or had any sucess with a Fix to the 730 software that might anable the 730 to pair wiht the mono BlueAnt motorcycle-spercific device I mistakenly purchased?

Ask a Question