TT 1XL giving Bad Directions.

I have been using my TT for a couple of weeks now just driving around town and such. I have noticed that it does very illogical things some times. It keeps trying to get me to go 2 blocks out of my way and back on to the same street again all the time. I thought it was a Map share problem but the street shows as open in both directions. It also wants me to take a lot of Slow back streets that show me as 6.2Km from home but when I go down main street "one way 60km/h with timed Lights it is 5.8km and 2 minutes faster when it recalculates the rout?
I have a TT one XL
App 7.162 (8492/071121) OS:2327
29MB RAM (free: 3.8 MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3026
Map: 'USA_and_Candad' v710.1575

Thanks

PS if I buy an SD card for it do I have to transfer the Maps to it or will they still read from the internal memory?

I have been using my TT for a couple of weeks now just driving around town and such. I have noticed that it does very illogical things some times. It keeps trying to get me to go 2 blocks out of my way and back on to the same street again all the time. I thought it was a Map share problem but the street shows as open in both directions. It also wants me to take a lot of Slow back streets that show me as 6.2Km from home but when I go down main street "one way 60km/h with timed Lights it is 5.8km and 2 minutes faster when it recalculates the rout?
I have a TT one XL
App 7.162 (8492/071121) OS:2327
29MB RAM (free: 3.8 MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3026
Map: 'USA_and_Candad' v710.1575

Thanks

PS if I buy an SD card for it do I have to transfer the Maps to it or will they still read from the internal memory?
I can't really explain your routing issues. As far as the back roads thing, it can't be a substitute for local knowledge. It's for when you don't know where you are, and you aren't familiar with an area. Bottom line, it will get you where you need to go, and it's better than trying to print out directions, or get them by word of mouth. If you use an SD card, it takes the place if your internal memory. You have to transfer the OS, the map, and anything else you want to use.

I can't really explain your routing issues. As far as the back roads thing, it can't be a substitute for local knowledge. It's for when you don't know where you are, and you aren't familiar with an area. Bottom line, it will get you where you need to go, and it's better than trying to print out directions, or get them by word of mouth. If you use an SD card, it takes the place if your internal memory. You have to transfer the OS, the map, and anything else you want to use.

Thanks. So I will need a big SD card... How big will it take?

I go along with what was mentioned about local knowledge, I basicly use it for places I haven't been to and need to find, even if I know most of the way to a town/city/address but not the local info I just put in the address and as I move along at the route I want it just keeps updating and takes me right where I want to be, you can use Tyre and Google to route direct to the TT and it does take a little time but will work (so I have been told), I did download Tyre to the computer and play around with it now and then, but normally I just make out a printed map (as backup) from Google and only use it when in doubt at a new location I am totally unfamilar with.
So far I am totally satisfied with the TT 1 XL.

Add another +1 about local knowledge. I learned that very quickly with mine.

For example, when navigating to a local shopping mall, tomtom directed me to drive almost 1/2 mile past the destination, make a U turn drive the same distance back, then enter the mall property via a couple side roads.

Knowing that the given directions were wrong, I decided to follow the course anyway and maybe try to decipher what the systems navigational reasoning was.

It was clear that the mapping software didn't know that the mall had a north entrance; it only knew of a south entrance and with that knowledge, it correctly directed me to take such an unnecessary course given where I was coming from.

Right now, GPS Nav systems are still in their infancy. I work in a hotel and on a daily basis, I have to give out directions to almost every guest that checks in. I get to see their cars when they pull up and I would say that maybe 1-100 has a NAV system of some kind. Because of this, there is a technological curve with digital mapping but I would bet that 5 years from now, these systems will be virtually perfect in their navigating.

We're just the pioneers! :D

Add another +1 about local knowledge. I learned that very quickly with mine.

For example, when navigating to a local shopping mall, tomtom directed me to drive almost 1/2 mile past the destination, make a U turn drive the same distance back, then enter the mall property via a couple side roads.

Knowing that the given directions were wrong, I decided to follow the course anyway and maybe try to decipher what the systems navigational reasoning was.

It was clear that the mapping software didn't know that the mall had a north entrance; it only knew of a south entrance and with that knowledge, it correctly directed me to take such an unnecessary course given where I was coming from.

Right now, GPS Nav systems are still in their infancy. I work in a hotel and on a daily basis, I have to give out directions to almost every guest that checks in. I get to see their cars when they pull up and I would say that maybe 1-100 has a NAV system of some kind. Because of this, there is a technological curve with digital mapping but I would bet that 5 years from now, these systems will be virtually perfect in their navigating.

We're just the pioneers! :D
This is exactly what I've been saying...if you know the area, don't use your Tom Tom, then complain about the route that it gave you. What's the point? Just use your brain to get you there. If you had not known the area, you would have had no idea that the route it was giving you was not "the best", but it got you there, right? You didn't get lost, and that's what's important in unfamiliar places.

Ask a Question