Trying to upgrade my tomtom device

hi all,

so I am having a problem with my tomtom Start 25 europe device and when I plug it in with the usb to my computer and then load the tomtom app it tells me what updates I have and it downloads them for me and my device restarts a few times and then it says you are up to date... simple right? so then why does my device keep flashing messages across the screen saying that I have not updated it in 7 months when I do it every few weeks?

so now its flashing saying that there are speed cameras when there are none and so on... so what am I doing wrong?

Have you tried rebooting the unit, either by holdong the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds or by using the reset hole if the model has that.

At what screen does it appear randomly? In Driving view? Is your car driving on a route at the time?

What exactly is the message saying?

well I will be using the sat nav and driving home and a little message pops up in grey and says something along these lines "you have not upgraded in 7 months" I forget exactly how its worded but I press ok and then thats it.. I dont know if its set to remind me every X amount of time but it started after 6 months and now on the 7th it is doing it again even after I have used the tomtom app and upgraded just a few weeks ago and today after seeing that message but the app said it is up to date.

Well, what is your map version? The latest is 885. There is something built into the app (you can't stop it) that does show up once in a while saying something like 'there may be a newer version of the map ....' (often when you DO have the latest map).

If that's the case, ignore it; in fact, there is no obligation to ever upgrade your map if you don't want to.

I do want to though but I upgraded everything using the tomtom app and I rather keep up to date but its just annoying when it says I have not updated in 7 months when I have... how do i check the map version?

Click the icon that says something like 'My information' and it'll show you the map installed and the version.

Map - Europe v875.3611, release date 7/2011

That explains it. You've updated everything that MyTomTom is offering you for free, but your map is now two versions out of date.
TT is very keen to get you to buy a new one, hence the pop-up messages.

I am confused? buy a new one? I thought all updates where free? how do I update the maps? I thought the tomtom app does it for you

how much does it cost? I think I was reading something about £10? but I thought all updates where free after the initial cost of £160 for the device

Sorry, you're not going to like this...
A brand new Europe map will set you back a cool £60 (-5p)
(see https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/maps/)

However, they would far rather sell you their "update service" where you sign up for four quarterly updates in a year. (https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/mapupdateservice/index.jsp)
I can't give you an exact price for that, because the deal is worked out individually depending on the age of your current map, but bizarrely, if your map WAS already up to date now, those four new Europe maps would cost £44.95.

Why it works out cheaper for four than it is for ONE, I don't know, but TT's map pricing has always been a bit weird.

ah that is a shame, its my fault really for not researching it properly, I thought I would get the europe one if I ever want to drive across europe and I did not think about updates I just assumed they would be free.. if I knew that I would of just got the uk only one..

but the website says funny voices coming soon so cant wait for that one but after paying £160 for the device I dont want to keep paying to update it, but then wont the roads be all wrong? because its already beeping where there are no speed cameras to be seen

I appreciate the help and at least now I know why it kept doing that.

You're actually mixing together two things that are in fact separate. Speed cameras are not part of the map itself. They are added and updated totally separately.

Normally, this is a subscription service and you get updates every time you connect to Home or MyTomTom. But I think with the Start models you get a "one-time" update when you first plug it in as well.

If you want to subscribe to their service there are two different options, 'normal' for £20 a year, or "premium" for £35. See here for details.

But to be honest, the TomTom-supplied camera date is very poor. You would be far better off subscribing to PocketGPSWorld's alternative database. Find out about that here.

For your existing data, if you are getting alerts for cameras that aren't there, you can delete them yourself with the camera reporting tool (little camera icon with a plus sign on the left of the screen). You may need to enable it first in the "Make your own menu" setup..

----

As for the map itself... don't bother updating it until you actually start seeing roads that are not on it, so your routes are missing new bypasses etc.
Many people don't bother to update their maps for two or three years and don't notice any great difference when they do.

But to be honest, the TomTom-supplied camera date is very poor.
While that seems to be the consensus in the UK, I've found that the cam data here in my part of the U.S. is spot on. I find myself using the 'confirm' button, but never seem to find a new one to report. They're already in the database by the time I run across them.

Ask a Question