Trying to add 4-digit password

I have just bought a new TomTom and am trying to add a 4-digit password. The manual tells me that I have to do this via the HOME software on my PC. However, when I try this it gives me an error message of "This functionality is not yet supported for your combination of navigation device, your device's application version and your computer's operating system." - all other functions work as expected.

I am using Windows XP patched to the hilt, HOME version 2.8.1.2218, and the TomTom is a "Blue&Me TomTom - 4GB TTS". The device reports:
Device AKTZS BJC6W
App 9.014.580798.10
OS 567329

Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Rog

Roger - welcome to TT and TT Forums

I'm fairly new to GPS's; and TomTom's; so not going to be much help.

The error your experiencing was very common on the XXL540 model; until TT recently corrected it.

Not sure what a 'blue&me' TT model is... (but I'm new to TT)

However, I am fairly certain that MVL, Canderson, DHN or Andy_P will be able to help you out quite a bit.

Hopefully, this isn't recently introduced to your particular model; and the solution already exists...

Hang in there.

D.

Thanks for the suggestions - I am not sure that I have a TomTom XXL model - I am not sure what it is other than a special one created for the new FIAT Punto and FIAT 500.

Certainly I am not being asked to download an additional file as one of the links suggests. As I am not sure how my machine fits into the TomTom family I am reluctant to download any updates unless they exactly fit my hardware.

Rog

As far as I know, the only way to set that password is via the "operate my device" on-screen emulator in Home.

Each model (and software version) needs a small file downloaded to make the emulator work, and often it takes a few weeks after a software update is released for the team that to the emulator file to catch up!

So if that feature isn't working for your Blue&Me model, you are stuck, until TomTom get their act together and write the extra file (if they even are going to!)

To be honest though... the password feature is not very useful. It slows YOU down when you want to start using the machine, but it doesn't stop it getting stolen.
It might stop the opportunist thief from using it, but it is actually very easy to bypass it if you know what you're doing, so it's probably all over the internet.

Roger - definitely would not download an app which is not for your device. I referenced the two links - so that you could read about this problem with the 540. Get a good feel of the history; and what's going on.

One of the Moderators (MVL, DHN, CANDERSON) might have a good suggestion for you.

You will not be asked to download a file - until a file is available. But that's what is needed (as Andy pointed out) - a file designed to allow your device to access the "Operate my XXL" feature.

You definitely want to contact TT support; and request a fix. In some ways the support staff work hard; and in other ways - I think they just say virtually anything to get someone out the door... I like the pin feature which is now working on my XXL540. Although more than one TT support person told me that TT had removed that feature - and TT was not going to be bringing it back.... (While a bunch of 540 owners were calling TT support; and requesting they fix the "Operate My XXL" feature in HOME.

Andy_P - I like the pin feature. And (as you state) it is probably easily disabled. However - if a thief steals my TT; they are probably going to just attempt to sell it to someone on ebay. Or a pawn shop. If an honest person purchases it - the requirement for a pin code; and my name /phone/ etc. just might get it back to me; and the thief arrested.

It doesn't hurt. And I don't mind the couple extra seconds at startup. Shortly after I purchased my device; I saw a post on this site - where someone was looking for help to get around a pin password - on a device which they had just purchased from off of ebay. If that had been me - I would have made one email to the person whom I had bought it from. Asking for the pin code. If they didn't know it - I would be contacting TT with the serial number - or (I have my contact info right on that screen) the stated owner. I would also be calling the police on the person I purchased it from. If you don't know the pin code, and your selling it - I would assume its stolen.

But the purchaser has to care...

D.

You can try the following steps:

1) Make a backup of the Tomtom per these instructions
2) Use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the Tomtom, ovewriting when prompted (it will downgrade you to 9.011)
3) Reconnect to HOME, cancel out when offered it the update, and run Operate my GO
4) Add your password via Operate my GO
5) Go to "Update my GO" and re-update the software to 9.014

I have a question regarding the 4-digit password - when I activate the option, I can no longer connect to my pc. When I turn on the device, it just goes right to the password screen and then functions normally, as if I were driving. It never asks if I want to connect to the pc. I deactivated the password and it works fine. Any ideas?

Byrd6563 - I'm surprised no one else has responded to your inquiry.

You did not state your specific model...

However, (I believe) the pin code should have nothing to do with the function of the unit. I own a XXL540

It normally does not ask if I wish to connect to the computer. That would be frustrating if I always had to respond to that question...

The question is asked when I plug it into the computer. Not when I'm just using the device.

Turn on your device. Enter the pin code. Allow it to 'boot up'. Now, that its happy - plug a cable into it; and plug it into your computer. I believe at this point - it will ask if you wish to connect to the computer.

D.

That a TomTom will not 'connect' (or even ask to be connected) to a computer if a password is in use and not yet supplied by the user is a good thing. Once a TomTom model that appears as an external drive is connected to a PC, all of your personal data becomes available, and it's even possible (although we don't discuss how) to invalidate your password setting.

Before I saw mvl's response, I contacted TomTOm's support and after a couple of false starts they eventually told me to delete a directory called "navcore" from my PC. This was not where they said it was and so I did a complete search of all my local drives (I have 2 hard discs and one is partitioned into two), and discovered this directory hiding in my profile directory. I deleted this and followed the rest of their directions as follows:
  • Rebooted PC
  • Opened HOME
  • Selected Operate my Device
  • Connect the TomTom to my PC and switched it on

It reported that a file was required to be downloaded to my PC and once downloaded all worked.

Many thanks to all who gave suggestions...

Ask a Question