Trying a TomTom Rider2 on for size

TomTom Model(s)
Rider2
Firstly, WOW... I didn't expect to see so many members in here.. it makes me think I made the right choice in getting the TT over the Zumo 550. Nice to have so many users who can share the load and keep the company developing in the right direction...
OR SO I THOUGHT....

Correct me if I am wrong here, but the reason I needed to find this forum, is that I couldn't find what I wanted to know from the company web site; and after browsing some of the responses...maybe I made the wrong choice???

I bought the TT Rider 2 and fitted it to my wifes Motorcycle - easy as pie to install and looks like it belongs there. Didn't have too many issues with the Scala bluetooth either - but I intend to replace that with a Bike 2 Bike communicator (probably the Chatterbox) - look for a thread on this one shortly...

Today I hooked up to the computer, downloaded HOME and played around a little and noticed that the OPERATE screen was blank. I am using Google Chrome on my computer with Vista and presumed it was a browser issue.

Then I tried to import an address from Google Maps - did everything right, hit the SEND command in Google and what do I find - I need to run OPERATE to do so - which didn't work.

No problem says I... I'll load the unit onto my wife's computer - identical setup to me, but she uses MS Internet Explorer.
Tada.... same thing happens...

No problem... RTFM;) .... nope no help:(
No problem... www.tomtom.com ... FAQ and documents seem to be lacking:confused:
Hmmmm... find a forum for similar issues... and find the fix

So...here I am ! :eek:

In browsing, I found that there are already several threads about OPERATE not working - hopefully this is a quick fix, but being able to load and manipulate maps is one of the reasons I got a GPS.

Next step - call support.... and see if it is fixed before my return date expires - or it will be going back and the refund will go to a Zumo to see if they do any better. :mad:

Tech Support Update: Now they've done it

Me: I am having problems with Operate
Support: We are aware of issues with the Emulator and are working on fixing it
Me: When can I expect it to be fixed - I need to download routes and waypoints from Google Maps. If I can't do that then 50% of the reason for having the product is wasted.
Support: We don't have any dates - you will be informed as the rest of the public will be through our newsletter
Me: Who can I talk to to find out?
Support: We are the only contact point for the public
Me: I'm not satisfied with having no idea of when or if this will be fixed, can you give me the president's name and the head office number please?
Support: The only information I can give you is the Concord address
Me: It sounds like you are trying to hide from the public for some reason - leave it with me and I'll find the President myself.:eek:

I had thought that a latter application had fixed the "Operate" function in Home with the Rider, but am not sure. What application version are you running (and have you let TomTom Home update it since you purchased your units)?

I am not that familiar with the Rider, but several other members are - so wait until they chime in.

EDIT - it looks like app 7.540 is the one that works. If you updated to a latter one, that could be the problem.

Go to the Rider sub-forum and check it out.

Last edited:
Rider 2

I have the Rider 2 which I received for xmas. Operate My Rider does not work for me and I have spoken to support, "we are working on it but do not know when it will be corrected". That's about the standard answer. I see through the forum this has been ongoing for awhile.

So I cannot go in and pre plan routes/itinerary. Cannot set up a password for my unit, who knows what else I cannot do, I cannot get in to see!!

I am also considering sending back for the Zumo 550. Aside from the Rider hooking up to your computer (which would be great for me), the 550 has much more to offer, but at a bigger price. If the 550 had a "Home" program, I probably would have went that way to start with. The support services sure could'nt be any worse ( I should not blame this on support, I think it runs much deeper in the company).

TT also has the latest map guarantee, I tried to complete this and it said I have the latest map. According to TT the latest is 8.15.... and I have 7.15.... so I called TT and they said I would have to prove my unit was within 30 days old (it was purchased 2 days before xmas).

It just seems to be one thing after another.

As for your bike to bike. The Chatterbox is a great unit, but pretty heavy and bulky. The Scala Q2 Multi set is very light and easy to use, so take a look at this before you make a choice. The Q2 allows each bike to receive GPS instructions, make phone calls, listen to MP3, etc... pretty cool.

Technical Marketing Manager

Seeing as I have the "internet" it wasn't hard to find the main number for TomTom here in the States (You can't hide for long).

I asked to speak to the Technical Marketing Manager (Ben apparently) but got his voicemail) no response today but I am an early riser, and know how to operate a phone...:D

Thanks to the Internet I was also able to find the US president's name (so much for support trying to shield him - even found a video interview)

Anyway I'll keep updating as I find out more....

As for the Scala Vs Chatterbox... I am enamored with the Chatterbox with 5 miles of range - even if it is sight to sight - maybe that's why it is bulky... I'll check them out. I wonder if they work with the Zumo? :rolleyes:

Latest Update

No response from Ben, so I called the Product Manager for the Rider 2 - Dan...

I get the feeling I might have to start at the top and work my way down...

Go for it!!

I wish you luck in chewing on somebody's leg. Somebody at TT needs to step up to the plate.

Let us know how it all works out....

On the headsets, Scala claims 1640 feet, that's plenty for our little groups. I do a lot of solo where intercom does not matter, so the lighter Scala is great for me to use for phone and GPS and it attaches to my half helmet, not adding to the clutter on the bars. I do like my Chatterbox though, I have the X1 Bluetooth set, I have used them a lot, and they are an excellent set. I know they claim 5 miles but I have never tested it.

No response from Ben, so I called the Product Manager for the Rider 2 - Dan...

I get the feeling I might have to start at the top and work my way down...
Well, if I was "at the top" and you called me, I'd be wanting to know what you wanted from me. A refund? An apology? A fix? I'd tell you a fix was in the works (just like support told you) but that you could still get a refund from the store where you bought it. And... also, I'm sorry.

Not sure how you don't already know those answers though.

Such is life.

-J.D.

I'm in technology and hate to get the wool pulled over my eyes.
If the next 400,000 potential customers get to learn from the experience of others like me (400k*$500 = $200Million) That's a sizable chunk out of a $700m Euro business which has dropped 90% of its value in 12 months.

They should already be addressing this problem and should have an answer for the public which is better than "we don't know"... in my line of work - we don't know = we don't care!

And before anyone asks, I don't work for another GPS manufacturer... but.... I *do* care.

Dont forget to mention our little discussions here. There are a lot of good users here.. quite helpful and very knowledgeable. But the best ones seem to be wearing fire-fighting gear as they are constantly having to quell the situations that are started by TomTom not seeming to be responsive.

Being in technology myself I know that sometimes all I need is to watch the progress... some sort of TroubleTicket number that I can track through with them. How about an offer to help beta-test the fix? there is a LOT more the company could do. and the Pres needs to hear of the rumblings out here to put the situation in perspective.

Again.. I love all you guys/gals on this support forum! you are the best!

Award

Anyone notice that in TT Press Releases they won the JD Powers award for Customer Service. I bet that was a surprise to them too...

When TT officially started to SUCK ? Jan 23, 2003

You can't make this stuff up......
Domain Name: TOMTOM.COM
Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
Whois Server: whois.onlinenic.com
Referral URL: http://www.OnlineNIC.com
Name Server: NS10.MULTRIX.COM
Name Server: NS20.MULTRIX.COM
Updated Date: 21-jan-2008
Creation Date: 23-feb-1996
Expiration Date: 24-feb-2009

Domain Name: TOMTOMSUCKS.COM
Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
Whois Server: whois.onlinenic.com
Referral URL: http://www.OnlineNIC.com
Name Server: NS10.MULTRIX.COM
Name Server: NS20.MULTRIX.COM
Updated Date: 22-dec-2008
Creation Date: 23-jan-2003
Expiration Date: 23-jan-2010

Cloudbuster.....

Do you really think a post such as yours is really of benefit to anyone?

In all fairness, had I been aware something like this prior to buying my Rider 2, I might not have been swayed by the marketing folks.

There are lots of people like me... and they have a right to know.

If I buy a product which a company puts on the market, I expect it to work.

At the moment, I can't even lock the unit to prevent its use if stolen...

That's like buying a car with no door locks.

Consumers shouldn't accept that they are stupid just because a company treats them as such.

Operate My Rider Working Now

I upgraded my map today to 8.15 ( I had to provide proof that my unit was less than 30 days old) and the Operate my Rider in TT Home started working. I just spoke with tech support this morning and they told me there would not be a fix until the new Home version came out.

So what's the scoop, is it Home that needs a fix or the 7.15 map??

Anyway, everything is working as it should.

Fixed !!!!

Thanks to Vulcan Rider's post above, I was able to inform the support person that there was a fix available (that they didn't know about) and subsequently went through a very pleasant process of solving the problem. Quick and easy.
Upgraded to 815 and everything started working almost normally. I expect a couple of files are in the wrong directory, as we needed to make a new one, which is preventing me from sending routes from Google maps, but at least Operate is working, which was the big issue.

Great!!

Glad to hear that fixed your problem!! I was not sure if mine was was a one time wonder or if it would result in the fix on other Riders.

Maybe this will be a start for them to get more units corrected.

Try the Tyre program and see if this works for you in uploading. Works for mine, have set up itineraries and uploaded without a problem. When you install the program, it even sets up as a menu item on TT home so it all works seamlessly. Find it at http://www.tyre.tk/

It uses Google Maps so it should look familiar to you.

I just suffered through this event (getting Operate to work) myself and I can only advise anyone who comes upon this thread: MAKE SURE YOU GET AN UPDATED MAP DURING THE FIRST 30 DAYS OF OWNERSHIP BY WHATEVER METHOD NECESSARY! Even though their software told me I had the most current map (not) and therefore I didn't worry about it until I found I could not run Operate My Rider on the computer and found threads about it on this forum, they would not give me a new map (I'm only about 6 weeks out of my 30 day wiindow). I bought the map update (ka ching) and all is working now...

Bob

Last edited:

Ask a Question