Trouble with loading POI files

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
Hi there. I'm a new TomTom One XL owner.

I've been trying to install some POI files. I followed the instructions from here and other sources.

The POI's show up on my TomTom, but when I select them, I get a screen that says, "No POI found!"

The other peculiar thing is, the names of the POI looked formated a little strange on my TomTom. The ones I load will show up with a period first, than a space, than a name. For example, it shows up like so:

. Grocery (<-- That's the POI I tried to load)
Airport
Amusement park

I've searched TomTom's support forums for a long time, and these forums but haven't been able to find an answer.

So far, I tried hitting the reset button to do a soft reset, and I've tried to do a hard reset. I've tried mulitple POI files from various sources, but I always get the same result. Haven't done any mods to it, the only thing I've done is deleted some foreign languages and voices off the TomTom with the Home software.

Any suggestions for a TomTom newbie? Thanks in advance, much appreciated. Great forum here. Hope I can contribute more once I get some TomTom skillz. (I say in my Napolean Dynamite voice) :)

Hi there. I'm a new TomTom One XL owner.

I've been trying to install some POI files. I followed the instructions from here and other sources.

The POI's show up on my TomTom, but when I select them, I get a screen that says, "No POI found!"

The other peculiar thing is, the names of the POI looked formated a little strange on my TomTom. The ones I load will show up with a period first, than a space, than a name. For example, it shows up like so:

. Grocery (<-- That's the POI I tried to load)
Airport
Amusement park

I've searched TomTom's support forums for a long time, and these forums but haven't been able to find an answer.

So far, I tried hitting the reset button to do a soft reset, and I've tried to do a hard reset. I've tried mulitple POI files from various sources, but I always get the same result. Haven't done any mods to it, the only thing I've done is deleted some foreign languages and voices off the TomTom with the Home software.

Any suggestions for a TomTom newbie? Thanks in advance, much appreciated. Great forum here. Hope I can contribute more once I get some TomTom skillz. (I say in my Napolean Dynamite voice) :)

POI files should look like the following examples:
Lighthouses.bmp
Lighthouses.ov2
Lighthouses.ogg

The bmp file is the custom image for the POI
The ov2 file is the data about the physical location of the POI
The ogg is a custom alert sound for the POI

These are simply located in the map folder on your TomTom. For example:
/USA_and_Canada/Lighthouses.bmp
/USA_and_Canada/Lighthouses.ov2
/USA_and_Canada/Lighthouses.ogg

". Grocery" is not a valid name. Try changing it to Grocery

Last edited:
We figured this out on another thread. Just so people Google searching for this problem actually find a solution, it turns out that this is a Mac thing. The Mac produces these extra files that begin with "._" when you copy files to a non-Mac drive using the main Mac file interface.

If you use a third-party file manager, this isn't a problem. In general they don't create these extra files, and any files that have been created in the past can be deleted.

One file manager I found that seems to work (and is free) is MuCommander, which is at www.mucommander.com.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions and assistance!

Don

Ask a Question