Trouble upgrading to map 835. Says out of space? Needs 137GB!?!??!

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hey all, well this is the first time I have ever had any trouble upgrading my map. After waiting a long time for the download to finish, upon installing the map, it gives me an error stating that I am out of space which is entirely wrong! I am using an 8GB SDHC card and I have almost 3 GB free space on the card. Of course I did make sure to select the correct memory device when I opened TomTom Home. Even if I did select the wrong memory device, my internal memory should have enough space anyways since it is completely empty.

Not sure if I'm reading the message correctly or not but it seems that it says it needs 124 GB available for installation. Has anyone run into this problem? I'm gonna try deleting my current map 830 off of the device and try installing again. If I still get the error message, I'm gonna try manually copying the map from the TomTom download folder. Here are 2 screenshots of the error message. The second screenshot is what it shows when I click "show details"

I'll post back with results.

Thanks all!

Edit : I accidentally typed in 137 in the thread title when I meant to type in 124 GB. Whoopsie! I wonder if I might possibly have a corrupt map download..

outofspace.jpg

outofspace2.jpg

Last edited:
OK so I restarted and logged into Windows XP to try the download. The map is currently downloading. The download speed is AMAZINGLY fast compared to Vista. For some reason TomTom Home is running beautifully in Windows XP and is not lagging my PC at all compared to the way it was running on Vista with all the lag during the map download. I have a feeling that the extreme lag on the PC during the download must have been causing map corruption since the error messages were a bit different between each download. Not only that, but the map download is going 20 times faster than it did in Vista. In Vista it would take an hour each time to download the map but now in XP, the map download is only taking about 15 minutes from what I am seeing. The download is almost done.

Certainly there is something wrong with my TomTom Home Vista installation due to the speed differences. I will post back with my results.

Woohoo!!!! It's installing! So the culprit ended up being my TomTom Home Vista installation. Since TomTom Home was causing Vista to run so HORRIBLY slow, it was causing the map to become insanely corrupted to the point where it kept thinking that the map itself was 127 GB. That's strange because this is a fresh install of Vista from 1 week ago. I guess I'll try reinstalling tomtom Home in Vista to see if the problem corrects itself. If it doesn't, then I'll just run TomTom Home from XP every time then.

Just for the heck of it I went into my Vista TomTom download folder to check the size of the map it had first downloaded and also checked the second map. CraZY enough, the first map was 131GB in size and the second map was 73GB!!! No wonder the maps took about an hour to download.. :confused:

Geez....

I had another poster here report that Vista screwed up the installation and going back to XP resolved it. Glad it's all sorted.

DHN, just want to be sure I understand. The new map update requires Home 2.7? Additionally, 2.7 does not like Vista, but works fine with XP? If it goes into a boot loop, add or remove a favorite and try again? And there is no new map update that will fit most of the 140's and 340's? Thanks for clarifying DHN.

No, you don't need 2.7 to get the new map, Gator. And the rebooting can happen regardless of what version of Home you're using, though some find 2.7 more problematic. The fix (for which I made a 'sticky' in Gen. Disc.) should work on all models where rebooting has been experienced.

Further, some but not all Vista users are finding 2.7 totally unworkable.

So.............it's 2 problems here:
1. 835 being too large on the 340 models (again) and also causing rebooting for others
2. Home 2.7 being an issue in and of itself for some users, Vista and otherwise.

TT is aware of 2.7's problems and know why it's happening.....now we just gotta wait for a new application release.

Clear as mud, eh? :(

Gotcha. With different responses in different threads here and in the Brit forums, it was far from clear to me what some of the issues and fixes were. Much appreciated!!

Rebooting after a map update (fixable by renaming a favorite in OMG) is nothing new. It's happend to many people who transfer a mapsettings.cfg file from an old map to a new map to retain favorites/preferences/mapshares.

What's new in HOME 2.7 is that HOME transfers the file to the new map automatically. So many people who didn't know about the reboot issue (just losing favorites each map) are experiencing reboots for the first time.

Ask a Question