Trouble Creating my own Custom Voice

I've been scouring the internet ever since this site went down: www.graemelucas.co.uk/tomtom/

It had a great tutorial outlining the steps to make you own custom voice. Unfortunately the site is dead and this other site's instructions: Create Your Own Content Guide doesn't work for me. I get stuck at the command prompt part of the instructions... Here that site's guide for joining the .ogg files:

1. Download and save Viftool to your computer.
2. Extract the files into the folder containing your 59 voice files.
3. Open a command prompt. To do this, click Start, then click Run, and then type CMD and press the Return key.
4. At the command prompt type the name of the drive where you saved your files, for example:

C:

Then type cd followed by the directory path of the folder in which your voice files are saved. For example:

cd TomTom\Voices
5. Type the following command:

viftool join <number> <name> data<number>.vif

For example:

viftool join 75 John data75.vif

Number refers to a unique file number that each navigation voice must have.

Note: Many numbers are already used by the standard and premium TomTom voices. You can check the numbers that are already in use by looking in the voices folder on your device. Number 71 to 99 are recognized as special voices and it is recommended that you use one of the numbers that are in this range.

Name refers to the name of your voice. It can be between one and eight characters long and must only use ASCII characters.
6. Viftool will then create two files, a .CHK file and a .VIF file. For the above example you would have these two files:

data75.chk
data75.vif

It just doesn't work for me. When I hit enterNo chk or vif files appear in my folder. Any ideas? At the command prompt I'm typing:

C: cd foldercontainingmyoggfiles viftool join 92 name data92.vif

My folder containing the .ogg files is placed in the C drive (eg C:/myoggfiles)

Also, I don't know if this matters but when you extract the contents of the viftool zip into the same directory as your ogg files, the extracted files are inside it's own folder called 'viftool'.

Anyhow, I'd love to get his working. I've recorded my 5yr old daughter's voice and it'd be great to have her directing me on the roads!

Thanks all,

Ben.

You said this:

C: cd foldercontainingmyoggfiles viftool join 92 name data92.vif

My folder containing the .ogg files is placed in the C drive (eg C:/myoggfiles)

Do you HAVE a folder called (no quotes) 'foldercontainingmyoggfiles'?? Or is your folder 'myoggfiles' (no quotes)??

I think you should at the line I've shown bolded be putting:

C: cd c:\myoggfiles

(notice the \ I used?)

Hi dhn,

Tried that. This is what I typed in the command prompt (word for word):

C: cd C:\kira viftool join 92 data92.vif

My folder I created (located at C:/kira) has the 59 ogg files and also MSVCR71.dll, python24.dll, viftool.exe, library.zip and w9xpopen.exe (which are the files I extracted from the viftool zip file.

Still no luck :(

What if you split this:

so C: cd C:\kira is on one line
and viftool join 92 data92.vif

is on a separate line?

Still no luck.

I typed C: cd C:\kira
Then pressed enter

then i typed: viftool join 92 data92.vif and pressed enter again.

got an error message saying 'viftool' is not a recognized command...

Where did you download viftool to? Move it to the folder you created to store your files.

As I said earlier, the folder I created (located at C:/kira) has the 59 ogg files and also:

MSVCR71.dll
python24.dll
viftool.exe
library.zip
w9xpopen.exe

(which are the files I extracted from the viftool zip file).

Sorry, I can't help further. I have no experience in that area; hopefully, someone will come along and provide better assistance.

Hi dhn,

Tried that. This is what I typed in the command prompt (word for word):

My folder I created (located at C:/kira) has the 59 ogg files and also MSVCR71.dll, python24.dll, viftool.exe, library.zip and w9xpopen.exe (which are the files I extracted from the viftool zip file.

Still no luck :(
Put quotation marks between 92 and data. example: viftool join 92 " " data92.vif. Between the quotation marks you can put a name or other info

Ask a Question