Tripmaster v2.0 Beta now available

Skip WayPoint

Roussillat,

Thanks for that, I will install SKIP WAYPOINT and try that.

I did do another Test Drive and changed the coordinates from REAL to SNAPPED which produced a perfect Reverse Itn on the same route that produced lots of U-turns when the setting was on REAL

Can you explain the Difference between Snapped and Real ?

I will do a Test Drive with Distance and Period set to 0 That way TM should only record TURNS reducing the number of WayPoints which when using ReversItn TT should just join the tracks between turns simplifying the Track (Maybe !!!)

.... (Great Add On to TTR2)

Regards Greg

Can you explain the Difference between Snapped and Real ?

snapped : coordinates are moved to the nearest road and are not refreshed until a certain period of time if your speed is lower than 4 km/h

real : coordinates are the real ones and are continuously refreshed.

Snapped mode is activated by default, because it provides a much more stable map display and, as a consequence, a lower need for itinerary recalculation.

In a town, with a GPS signal level always changing, due to builldings, in real mode, your GPS would become mad and would constantly recalculate the itinerary, because the coordinates could indicate another street as your current position, due to GPS accuracy.

snapped : coordinates are moved to the nearest road and are not refreshed until a certain period of time if your speed is lower than 4 km/h

real : coordinates are the real ones and are continuously refreshed.

Snapped mode is activated by default, because it provides a much more stable map display and, as a consequence, a lower need for itinerary recalculation.
Based upon our email conversations in recent weeks, the description above is confusing to me. I thought we had determined that you were unable to get to the raw GPS data in OffRoad Navigator (the data from the screen with the illustration of all satellite positions in orbit), even when it is set to "real", and that we were stuck with the snapped data (the data from the screen where the unit's firmware revision is located). We have agreed that the data from those two screens are very different.

Unless/until TT releases an API that gives you access to the raw data, what is the difference between "real" and "snapped"? I'm still pretty annoyed that they have locked you and other 3rd party developers out of the information you need to do your work! Was that information available with the NavCore6 API?

Unless/until TT releases an API that gives you access to the raw data, what is the difference between "real" and "snapped"? I'm still pretty annoyed that they have locked you and other 3rd party developers out of the information you need to do your work! Was that information available with the NavCore6 API?

I get the GPS informations directly in the NMEA frames generated by the GPS module. If the GPS module is set to static (default mode), I get snapped coordinates. If I set the GPS module to non-static, thru the "real coordinates" option of Tripmaster or Offroad, I get real coordinates.

Unfortunately, on some devices, like GOx20, the NMEA command to set the GPS module to non-static doesn't work anymore and set the module in a strange state. So, on GOx20, I've removed this snapped/real capability and you only get snapped coordinates.

I still don't know how Tomtom may display both informations on any devices.

It was exactly the same in v6.56. The only difference was that the existing devices, when the v6.56 was issued, all accepted non-static command.

Unfortunately, on some devices, like GOx20, the NMEA command to set the GPS module to non-static doesn't work anymore and set the module in a strange state. So, on GOx20, I've removed this snapped/real capability and you only get snapped coordinates.
I wonder if it would be doing both you and your customers a favor if we started to complain to TT about the lack of a proper API for the x20 series, especially with regard to availability of the unsnapped mode?

As a customer, it is hard to know if TT has rushed the NavCore7 to market without taking the time to create the API, or if this is a new business model for TT.

Meanwhile, I think I am going to see if my understanding of the current GNU GPL version 3 is correct.

TomTom Tripmaster Itn Logs

Hi Roussillat, I went for a Test ride on the weekend with Tripmaster logging only Turns.

At the end of the ride I had approx. 370 logged points in the Itn file which was great, Tripmaster did its job perfectly.

My problem is that when I loaded the Itn file TTR2 calculated only a partial Route.

After reading thru the Tripmaster info again......

"Important:
a Tomtom route can contain only 48 steps, whereas an ITN tracking logs file may contain an infinite number of records. Only the 48 first will be used in Tomtom application."

What can I do as most weekend rides I do are around 150km and would contain somewhere between 300 to 400 Itn points, more if Time & Distance points are activated as well.

If TomTom only use the first 48 points I am unable to retrace that particular Track

What can I do to retrace the complete Itinerary

Also the Itn file name (tm-yyyymmdd_hhmmss) records the time in the file name as GMT and doesn't take into account my Offset setting of 10.5 hours, can this be altered to save as my local time.
The time recorded inside the file at each Itn point is correct (My local time).

Regards greg

Tried Tyre?

Cimsa, I don't know if you have tried Tyre to display your itinerary in Google Maps, but it is a very slick program. You have an option of keeping all the waypoints from Tripmaster in a single file, or Tyre will split them into multiple files of 48.
Interface is very intuitive, a very cool. Give it a try.

What can I do as most weekend rides I do are around 150km and would contain somewhere between 300 to 400 Itn points, more if Time & Distance points are activated as well.

If TomTom only use the first 48 points I am unable to retrace that particular Track

What can I do to retrace the complete Itinerary

Also the Itn file name (tm-yyyymmdd_hhmmss) records the time in the file name as GMT and doesn't take into account my Offset setting of 10.5 hours, can this be altered to save as my local time.
The time recorded inside the file at each Itn point is correct (My local time).

Regards greg

cimsa - great post - same reason I'm so glad to have tripmaster.

Have you looked closely @ your itn file. What is the parameter to record a change in course?

I'm using 45 deg with no distance or time logging. At many turns, I find that two points are logged, which is correct as far as tripmaster is concerned.

Tyre is awesome, but editing itinerary files with it is a bit tyresome :)

Try this
http://www.routeconverter.de/index_en.html
It will not produce the beautiful routing of Tyre, it's just an easier way to edit, imho.

it's a bit faster as it doesn't connect your waypoints along the roadways, but in straight lines. There is a filter button (on the right) which allows you to select waypoints that are within "x" meters of each other.

This weekend I rode approx 140 miles, my itn file logged approx 180 points. Many of these points were turning around at the gas station or at stops etc. I filtered (or selected) waypoints within 40 meters of each other and deleted them, getting me down to about 60 pts.

Then it was just a matter of going down the list of points to delete the waypoints logged in the middle of a road that was logged because of curves. All I really want anyway is one point logged at each road change.

After that was pulled out, the file was 45 points. From here you can load back to your device for later use. Tyre ran out the course for a beautiful printout for my dad as well.

It is a shame that a PC is required to do this.

Another thing that may help is to stop and restart the logging to start a new itn file in Tripmaster. The files could be combined later with any text editor.

Hope this helps - and +1 on your request for the file name to be recorded with the GMT offset

Ask a Question