Trip with Tomtom one in Calgary/Rockies

TomTom Model(s)
One New edition V2
Just thought I'd post up a review of my experience with an Australian TOMTOM v2 with Canada/USA maps - Just back from Canada.

The voice warnings for Calgary/Canada were pleanty in advance compared to the Australian map which is interesting.
Generally the unit performed solidly in the City, however on one route from Olympic park to the Zoo it insisted I go around a block mid way through before continuing straight on for a further 300M?
It did however take the stress completely out of navigating to the hotel in the dark and allowing me to pack in the maximum site seeing per day that a local on their best day could have done.
If I had to read traditional maps, I don't think I could have done even half the stuff. Considering I'm sitting on the wrong side of the car, driving down the wrong side of the road with the left hand, while taking pictures with my right hand along the way. (2190Km trip with Over 1391 pictures including x3 bush hikes) Didn't have to use it on the hikes, because I wasn't lost, so yet to try that out.

In the country on Hyw 1 & 93 (Banff to Jasper) in mountain arear's the unit with 9 satellite locks would jump randomly (left or right) up to 130 to 140Metres off the main road.

In country towns the only annoying thing it would do is have you drive to the end of the street before turning around for the correct route. It's best to just follow the compass initially in a small town for the destination and let it re-route correctly.

For the items not in the maps I created my own favorites before I left with help of google earth and they worked a treat along with itenary planing. Very happy with this unit. :D

PS the Banff to Jasper is worlds best scenic drive this time of year I believe. It was simily bl..dy brilliant and the most amazing drive In any country I've ever been to.
Plus the Canadians are really friendly - feels like not leaving home for me!

That's a good story. Thanks for sharing. As a matter of fact, I bought my TT1 two weeks ago just for my upcoming trip to the Rocky Mountain in Colorado.

In the country on Hyw 1 & 93 (Banff to Jasper) in mountain arear's the unit with 9 satellite locks would jump randomly (left or right) up to 130 to 140Metres off the main road.
I got that on the US maps driving down some long stretches of highway in Arkansas. It'd say we were in a field, and urge us to turn around. It'd settle down after a while, but it's definitely jarring at first.

Ask a Question