Trip to Santa Barbara

TomTom Model(s)
One
Hey, all,

So, one of the main reasons I bought my wife a TT1 was this Santa Barbara trip. We wanted to go from the San Francisco East Bay, down Highway 1 to SB and the back up the faster route on 101. I planned an itinerary using Tyre/Google Earth so that we went down 1, so I set up waypoints in Big Sur and San Simeon (home of Hearst Castle).

The TT worked like a champ! We even took some detours (turning of the waypoints) to get gas and lunch in Pismo Beach. Interestingly, I turned on the restaurant POIs as we were getting hungry and headed towards a dense population of restaurants. Picked out a Thai restaurant that was FABULOUS. (Wouldn't it be nice to have reviews associated with restaurant POIs? Perhaps taken from a review site...)

The TT took us directly to our hotel. We then walked around using the TT going to a few restaurants I researched and a tattoo place that I loaded as Favorites beforehand. I also loaded a few geocaching locations as Favorites which, in combination with Offroad, we found 4 of 5.

We took the TT calculated way home (via the quick 101). Getting hungry, we turned on the restaurant POIs and searched for the nearest Jack in the Box (funds were running low). We had actually passed it, so the TT took us around to the opposite direction on the freeway, off the next exit and straight to it. Funny enough, we were in Pismo Beach again and saw the Thai restaurant we ate at the day before...

The one interesting benefit I experienced was, after eating, the TT took us back to the freeway in a completely unexpected and very quick way. If I didn't have the TT, I would have gone a completely different way to find the nearest freeway entrance.

Overall, the trip was enhanced with the TT. It was great seeing ETAs for arrivals and I felt much more at ease knowing I could quickly and easily find gas or food at any time. I also felt more comfortable exploring different areas knowing the TT would lead me back to our planned route.

Absolutely no problems... probably because I didn't upgrade my maps... ;-)

Ask a Question