Trip Report 510 - Southern CA.

TomTom Model(s)
910 w/ v7.10 maps
Just returned from a weeks vacation in Southern California. Only had my 510 since February and my first real trip outside of my familiar home area.

Past trips. We drive a lot on these kind of trips and I am always the navigator with my head buried in maps the whole trip. Constantly giving instructions to the driver. Getting to our destinations was bad enough, but getting back to the hotel or to the next destinations was always worst. And if you drove a few miles or streets without the map, you had to figure out where you were, then figure out where you are going. Getting back to our hotel after dark was sometimes difficult.

But, what a change this time!. I can tell you that the 510 (here by known as "Sally") was a blessing. The best trip I ever had. Did not have to worry about where we were or getting back. When we saw somewhere (not on the itenerary) that we wanted to see, we just detoured and went. Knowing Sally would get us back on the right track when we were done.

I actually pre programmed a lot of my itenerary into 5 different trips before we left home.

Here is what we did and how we were routed:
1. Flew into San Diego airport, rented a car and drove to Hollywood for 1 nights stay. Routed us I5N right to our hotel on Orchid Ave. No route or traffic problems. Car parked overnight.

2. Next day: Drove from Hollywood to La Jolla. First ( still in Hollywood hotel parking lot) I had a problem just getting Sally to get a signal. It also hung on the start up screen when trying to restart. Finally removed the card and reinserted to get it to boot. Then it took about 5 minutes to get a signal. After it aquired the signal it was confussed and kept rerouting every few seconds. Useless at this point. We started driving and it finally locked on the correct route in a few minutes.
No further problems to La Jolla. I reprogrammed (in route) and we made several stops at several beach towns along Hwy 1 south. It did take me several tries to convince Sally to take Hwy 1 instead of the interstate.

3. Once in La Jolla it was great. Correctly taking us down several roads to get to our beach house. It did have 1 street (Fay Street) that it has a problem with coming from 1 direction. It would (incorrectly)take us on Fay, then tell us to take a uturn back. Did not do this from other directions.

4. While in La Jolla we visited the San Diego zoo, old town, harbor, Coronado island, and may more locations. Great directions with only 1 problem. We programed in an address of a resturant at the harbor. It would take us by the address and then tell us "you have reached your destination", then to turn around, repeatly from all directions. Come to find out, the resturant was in a shopping complex at that intersection. The intersection was the closest road. This has happened to me before. I am learning to look for these type of situations.

5. We took a day trip over the mountains and to the desert, then back to La Jolla. Great except for 2 lane highways in small towns. Took me to a dead end road up in the mountains and kept sending me there from all directions, even after reprogramming. Finally had to program in a different city on down the road, then it rerouted fine. Also, in a small desert town it kept wanting me to turn on a road that did not exist thru the desert. Reprogramming corrected that.

All in all I would rate the 510 excellent in large cities and very good in smaller cities. It does seem to be more accurate in larger cities and with plenty of warnings to "move left" or "get in right lane" or "take the next exit". Otherwise, this would be very difficult in 6 lane (unfamiliar) traffic. Also regardless of the situation, you know it will route (or reroute) you back. All resulting in a very enjoyable trip. The more I learn to use the unit, the better it gets. Our friends were amazed!

Reception was good thru out the trip even with the 510 mounted below the dash. Lost the signal once in downtown san Diego because of tall buildings.

Signal acquiring time at start up was always unusually long compared long to back home in Kentucky. I docked to tomtom home and did the satellite locator thing before I left Kentucky. I wonder if that confussed it in California?

One last thing. Someone here had mentioned to watch the 510 while flying. That is a BIG no-no. Strictly prohibited on all airlines. I read the warning an ddid not remove mine from the carryon.

Sorry for the LONG post and please forgive me of my spelling.

Randy

Thanks, RandyR. I enjoyed reading that.

I'm still wondering if the routing errors you describe are part of the problem with map v665. Could you please go back and redo your trip using map v650?:D

To bad can't view a GPS system on the plane :)
Is that a new rule? I have used my GO910 on many flights. Both in Europe, on trans Atlantic flights and US domestic flights. I have even asked, and been told that it's no problem as long as it only receives GPS signals. The last time I used it in USA was December 2006. Has it been changed after that?

I also refer to European TT boards, where several people say that they use it without problem.

Thanks, RandyR. I enjoyed reading that.

I'm still wondering if the routing errors you describe are part of the problem with map v665. Could you please go back and redo your trip using map v650?:D

Oh Yea, I bet it is I hate that v.665 I went back to v.650 its off course!

I'm sure you can use a GPS on a plane - can you turn of the bluetooth though (I've never tried and I don't have it in front of me). I've always found the cabin crew nervous of anything they don't understand personally - I've never tried to use anything but a PSP or IPod ;)

Is that a new rule? I have used my GO910 on many flights. Both in Europe, on trans Atlantic flights and US domestic flights. I have even asked, and been told that it's no problem as long as it only receives GPS signals. The last time I used it in USA was December 2006. Has it been changed after that?

I also refer to European TT boards, where several people say that they use it without problem.

I'm just going by what the OP posted.

46jimbo, I like your idea of repeating the trip with the old map, but my wife won't go for that. I did not mention, but she is a back seat navigator. Know what I mean!

As far as map errors and comparing 665 to older version. I can tell you that the older version was absolutly more accurate on existing roads in my small town and surrounding small towns. But of course, did not include new roads. I guess that makes it a toss up. One ( of many)example is that the new maps moo-ved my house and road to a cow field, it was dead on before. As I said, It looks like the new map included new roads with better detail and accuracy in large cities, at the expence of smaller cities.

Southwest Airlines printed Do's and Dont's on the plane, specificaly listed "GPS devices" in the Don't category. The don't category says "cannot be turned on at any time". Don't know when it took effect, but it is. Did not want to ask and risk being searched at our next stop.

We flew back on Frontier. They have these neat seat back LCD screens with Direct TV and one channel is a GPS that shows the location of your specific plane on a USA map. You can follow this as you fly.

Randy

Ask a Question