Trick to run HOME on a SDHC memory card in Windows

GO 720 has been my most favourite toy by now. This thread you are reading should be a follow-up on a previous thread about "memory upgrade", but I put it up here in case you would also want to know.

The aim of using an external SDHC memory card is to increase memory of the GO 720. The default 2GB is simply not enough because the map data already occupies 1.7GB, and the rest is not enough to download more fun stuff to the GO. A SD card (usually 2GB but why only replace the default hard drive?) can work fine with GO and HOME, so you can stop here if you are either content with your GO or a SD card.

I choose to use 8GB SDHC because memory means POWER! Yet GO 720 can read SDHC but cannot write to SDHC, so you cannot use HOME to update directly to SDHC. BUT! I just find a way to get around that.

1. Refer to the "memory upgrade" (P.2) thread on how I set up my 8GB SDHC card to copy all the content of GO 720's hard drive.

2. Having done that, I removed the map folders (Guam, North_America_2GB)from GO 720's hard drive.

3. Shut off GO and close HOME if it has been opened on your computer.

4. First insert your card reader with the SDHC card to your computer. With all the identical files on your card, you should get a pop up asking if you want to run this removable drive with TomTom HOME. Click this first option with the TomTom icon on the list. (IF you don't see that... too bad, I am not an operating system expert, but if you install TomTom HOME correctly and has never disabled a CD autorun or Autoplay kind of thing, you should get the pop up dialogue in Windows.)

5. When HOME opens up on your computer, switch on GO again. This way HOME should detect your card first but not your GO device.

6. Click on "Update my GO". You will be amazed how HOME now can treat your card as your GO device!

This will make updating your data a lot easier.

After updating or changing the preferences on your SDHC card, simply disconnect and shut off the device like you normally would and insert the card back to GO.

If your GO doesn't start up when you switch it on, just push the RESET hole on the device with a pin as recommended by TomTom. That won't reset all your data, don't worry, and in the past 3 days I have pinned that hole over a dozen of times. GO 720 is simply a very playable and durable device for a ditial toy lover like me. :D (However, you might need to set the clock again.)

GO for a happy new year!

Last edited:

Ask a Question